• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Betting against Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Betting against Brexit

The news is suggesting a huge drop in the pound in case of "no deal" and to be honest, if the Commons vote fails a knee-jerk drop seems inevitable based on the currency fluctuations recently.

And unlike other things, the pound seems likely to drop after the vote even if we are all sure the vote will fail beforehand.

So I'm quite seriously considering trying to find a way to get a chunk of money into Euros ahead of the vote. On the other hand I do get paid in $USD so on the other hand I win if our currency crashes anyway.

Anyone else?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    The news is suggesting a huge drop in the pound in case of "no deal" and to be honest, if the Commons vote fails a knee-jerk drop seems inevitable based on the currency fluctuations recently.

And unlike other things, the pound seems likely to drop after the vote even if we are all sure the vote will fail beforehand.

So I'm quite seriously considering trying to find a way to get a chunk of money into Euros ahead of the vote. On the other hand I do get paid in $USD so on the other hand I win if our currency crashes anyway.

Anyone else?
    My equivalent is a booze run to Newry. Best to coincide with a Sainsbury's 25% off 6 bottles of wine offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      My equivalent is a booze run to Newry. Best to coincide with a Sainsbury's 25% off 6 bottles of wine offer.
      Well you seem to have all your ducks lined up from the wino's perspective. Well done.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        Well you seem to have all your ducks lined up from the wino's perspective. Well done.

Sometimes it coincides with 33% off prosecco. If that all lands alongside a run on the pound, I'll be happier than a catering corps veteran in a Barnstaple 'spoons.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          Sometimes it coincides with 33% off prosecco.
          Prosecco?? Bloody girl's drink!! Do you have your nails done at the same time?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

We are already aware of your gender and sexuality identity insecurities so no need to display them here.

Comment

I also get paid in USD. I'm therefore an exporter and can confirm that a fall in the pound helps the UK export industry which therefore helps the UK. People should stop whiling about a fall in the pound. It's great for the economy! Too bad if the little people have to pay 5p more for their groceries. Boo hoo.

Comment

I love the fall in the pound. If it falls much further, I'm planning on buying a small town in the country to run as my own fiefdom.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Anyone else?

Yes it's crossed my mind and with a Revolut account it's a piece of piss to change from £ to $ or euro (and back again) at interbank exchange rates (plus markup of between 0.5% and 1.5% for weekend transactions).

Decision then becomes which is the safer gamble, betting on the devaluing of pound against dollar/euro or pound against bitcoin. May have to place bets on both.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

So you're sexist too; prosecco and an hour down the nail parlour getting the old cuticles sorted and a nice french polish are not just for the girls you know! You country hicks .... did the whole metrosexual phase pass you by?

"The typical metrosexual is a young man with money to spend, living in or within easy reach of a metropolis – because that's where all the best shops, clubs, gyms and hairdressers are. He might be officially gay, straight or bisexual, but this is utterly immaterial because he has clearly taken himself as his own love object and pleasure as his sexual preference"
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                    X