• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another referendum in a (sometimes) sensible country

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Referendums are awesome, but only when they run on regular basis AND serious decisions should require more than simple majority.
    CUK should adopt these. Every year a referrendum "Should AtW be perma-banned". 99% threshold is fine - I reckon that will be surpassed.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      Despite what everyone is saying.

Exactly this - the people on the board agree with this outcome so it is good.

Had the people on the board not agreed with the outcome it would be bad and anyone who disagrees will be a cretin.

Still always good to have honest open unbiased discussion.
      So just for the record are you pro or against a referendum on May's deal, with remain being an option ?

If against what sort of referendums do you agree with and what sort of referendums do you think are bad ?

Interestingly I don't recall anyone protesting against the referendum when it was called. Can you post a link to a big demonstration against holding a referendum ?
      Last edited by BlasterBates; 28 November 2018, 13:42.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        Interestingly I don't recall anyone protesting against the referendum when it was called. Can you post a link to a big demonstration against holding a referendum ?
        One referendum on a big issue every ~40 years is fine.

DC just wanted to shut up Brexiters in the Tory party. That worked out well.....

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
          Welcome back Bean, are the school holidays starting already?

Perhaps you should investigate the way that Referendums are held in other countries (CH, IE, etc), especially the difference in information and what the result of the referendums in those countries would apply to local laws.
          I wouldn't know. Do many schools have holidays in late November?

Perhaps I should, but I don't need to do that in order to ask that question....either;
          1) Referendums are a good way to run a country, or
          2) They are not a good way to run a country

Qualify the answer with 'information', 'minimum turnout' if you wish - but the question is there...
          Originally posted by Old Greg
          I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
          ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
            I wouldn't know. Do many schools have holidays in late November?

Perhaps I should, but I don't need to do that in order to ask that question....either;

Qualify the answer with 'information', 'minimum turnout' if you wish - but the question is there...
            The question is there, certainly, but I doubt any intention on your part to learn is.

Urban Dictionary: Sealioning

Comment

Since the answer can be qualified endlessly, once again your post is irrelevant.

Yes - <political system> is a good way to run a country. Yes - <political system> is not a good way to run a country.

Replace <political system> with
              Democracy
              Autocracy
              Parlismentary Monarchy
              Fascism
              Direct Democracy

and the answer is the same. They all have their positives and their negatives.

Communism has pretty much been proven by history to be a terrible way to run a country.

If you want to ask whether having a referendum on Brexit was a good idea - try the Brexit subforum.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                The question is there, certainly, but I doubt any intention on your part to learn is.

Urban Dictionary: Sealioning

I spent five minutes asking polite questions, sealioning him into hours of writing until he got exasperated and told me to **** off.

Of course the chosen method of avoiding sealioning in cuk is to call the poster a cretin.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Since the answer can be qualified endlessly, once again your post is irrelevant.

Yes - <political system> is a good way to run a country. Yes - <political system> is not a good way to run a country.

Replace <political system> with
                  Democracy
                  Autocracy
                  Parlismentary Monarchy
                  Fascism
                  Direct Democracy

and the answer is the same. They all have their positives and their negatives.

Communism has pretty much been proven by history to be a terrible way to run a country.

If you want to ask whether having a referendum on Brexit was a good idea - try the Brexit subforum.
                  wow, that is interesting but not 100% surprising, that you included that, given your love of moderator authoritarianism

PS. I'd venture that, most posts in 'General' are irrelevant, but at least it keeps you busy eh?
                  ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

wow, that is interesting but not 100% surprising, that you included that, given your love of moderator authoritarianism

PS. I'd venture that, most posts in 'General' are irrelevant, but at least it keeps you busy eh?
                    You are a cretin.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      You are a cretin.
                      Fantastic rebuttal.
                      Many will fawn over the literary prowess in that post, for many years to come.
                      ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Working...
                      X