• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Parliamentary sovereignty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So we have a 500 page draft Withdrawal Agreement.

In a secure reading room.

That Ministers have been given just one night and half a day to read, before voting on it this afternoon.

Chances of them understanding it? 0%

Chances of most of them reading any of it? 0%

Yet they’re being pushed and prodded to vote on what is probably the most important document of our generation.

“Taking back control”....
    Last edited by meridian; 14 November 2018, 07:09.

There will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth and the collapse of Brexit will be voted through parliament.

Brexit is about to collapse

My favourite comment today from the Daily Express comes from a red faced mercurya1, whose blood pressure is going through the roof.

Never in British politics,have so many people been shafted by so few, so many people denied their democratic right,so few brave politicians with the guts to stand up for the people of their own country.The House of Traitors will see so many new faces at the next election.We will have our revenge.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 14 November 2018, 07:26.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Loving the fact that hardly anyone has seen the agreement, but JRM, BoJo etc are saying it’s terrible having not read it.

Talk about whinging gammonflakes...

But anyway, I’m sure true Brexit supporters will be on here shortly, all smiles/smilies to cheer us on with “Brexit means Brexit” and their other catchy slogans with deep meaning.

Finally, the day is here when we get the agreement that gives the NHS £350 million a week, diverted from the EU, not from new taxes. We get to leave the EU and everything to do with it. We get to take back control of our sovereign borders, sovereign laws, etc. All immigration will stop.
      We will have free trade with the world.
      We will all be richer straight away.
      I don’t know why it’s taken so long to achieve the easiest deal in history, after all the EU needs us so badly.

Utopia here we come.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post

That Ministers have been given just one night and half a day to read, before voting on it this afternoon.

Yet they’re being pushed and prodded to vote on what is probably the most important document of our generation.

And this is different to most big projects run by the big consultancies how?

Comment

BRINO means BRINO.

You don't need to read 500 pages. You don't need to read 5 pages. It's staying on the same train only being bumped from first class to second. It's not ideal but we all get to the same stations as everyone else. We're not left behind at some rural halt.
          "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            Just because big consultancies do it doesn’t mean it is the best thing to do.

...but at least you’ll find out today what you voted for.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

It takes a barrister at law three minutes to read one page (not including research time). 500 pages will take 1500 minutes to read or 25 hours. Out of an eight hour day, one could read for six hours therefore it would take four days just to read. Very few barristers at law would understand everything in the first reading; the chances of MPs understanding will be zero.
              Last edited by Paddy; 14 November 2018, 09:41. Reason: rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

You’re clearly the monkey that gets told what to do in your projects.

In mine, I get weeks to write, contribute to, and read others’ specs and project documentation.

Comment

You’re clearly the monkey that gets told what to do in your projects.

In mine, I get weeks to write, contribute to, and read others’ specs and project documentation.
                  Ahh so you're the **** who writes 20 page documents - of which the first ten pages are just document information and the distribution list, the last 9 pages are the appendices and in actual fact there is only 2 paragraphs worth reading.

But you will print out a copy for everyone at every meeting and also ensure you are carrying a huge giant chart printed on A3 paper which is actually of zero value but you think it makes you look special.

Comment

Ahh so you're the **** who writes 20 page documents - of which the first ten pages are just document information and the distribution list, the last 9 pages are the appendices and in actual fact there is only 2 paragraphs worth reading.

But you will print out a copy for everyone at every meeting and also ensure you are carrying a huge giant chart printed on A3 paper which is actually of zero value but you think it makes you look special.

Yep, that’s me.

But at least I’ve given you time to read it before you decide to ignore it and code a dogs breakfast.

Comment

Working...
                    X