• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Democracy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Democracy

Heard the CEO of YouGov on the radio saying that according to their calculations, over the last two years the number of older, mainly Brexit voters who have died, and the number of younger, mainly Remain voters who have reached voting age means that a poll today would return a result 52/48 in favour of Remain.

So 'it's the will of the people' would no longer seem to apply.
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Bollocks. You can say that about any election or any other poll result.

Meanwhile, back in reality...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
      Heard the CEO of YouGov on the radio saying that according to their calculations, over the last two years the number of older, mainly Brexit voters who have died, and the number of younger, mainly Remain voters who have reached voting age means that a poll today would return a result 52/48 in favour of Remain.

So 'it's the will of the people' would no longer seem to apply.
      The "will of the people" never applied. HTH.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Surely, if this is correct (and even though I'm a remainer I am sceptical), then the will of the people would be a reversal of Brexit. Brexiters are clearly scared that next time the youth will turn out in force, unlike the 1st ref, and they know that they will lose next time

Unfortunately I don't think a 52/48 reversal in the voting is enough to warrant a 2nd ref, but that's only my view .... if the will of the people is another ref then who am I to argue
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Has it occurred to you that quite a few of the Remain camp are now on the side of the Exit one, having got a little older and a little wiser? Personally I would resist a second poll that may be affected by a bunch of 19 year olds who get their opinions fed them by social media and assorted brain dead celebrities.

Also the ones they're talking about dying off are the ones who were conned into voting for the EEC in the 70s, who are still pretty much alive an kicking now, so I don't believe there would be a big enough shift to affed a second poll, not that there's going to be one.

If you want to kick off at somebody, ignore the referendum - that's dead and gone - and have a go at the various self-centred political pygmies who are doing their best to prevent us getting any kind of a sensible deal so they can promote their own career and f*** everyone else: in fact, they already have. The main outcome of the negotiations to date has been to highlight just how non-accountable and self-centred the so-called EU government really is.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

That's why we have elections every 4 years, but for some brexidiot reason this cannot apply to referenda, because that would be undemocratic.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
              That's why we have elections every 4 years, but for some brexidiot reason this cannot apply to referenda, because that would be undemocratic.
              Five years...

And a referendum is not an enduring process, it's a one-off vote on a specific question and require an Act of Parliament to happen at all. However there are those who think we should keep repeating them until we get the right answer. In which case, why even bother? If a second referendum came up with the same answer, do we have another one in another two years in the hope that enough people have changed their minds again?

As I said, back in reality...
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Has it occurred to you that quite a few of the Remain camp are now on the side of the Exit one, having got a little older and a little wiser? Personally I would resist a second poll that may be affected by a bunch of 19 year olds who get their opinions fed them by social media and assorted brain dead celebrities.

Also the ones they're talking about dying off are the ones who were conned into voting for the EEC in the 70s, who are still pretty much alive an kicking now, so I don't believe there would be a big enough shift to affed a second poll, not that there's going to be one.

If you want to kick off at somebody, ignore the referendum - that's dead and gone - and have a go at the various self-centred political pygmies who are doing their best to prevent us getting any kind of a sensible deal so they can promote their own career and f*** everyone else: in fact, they already have. The main outcome of the negotiations to date has been to highlight just how non-accountable and self-centred the so-called EU government really is.
                Take a chill pill dude. Your Brexit MPs have all done a runner and are scared to stand up and try to find a solution. They promised much running up to the vote, and delivered bugger all. They didn't even stand up to May this week; they had been gobbing off in the press that May should bring her own noose etc, but when push came to shove they cowered in the corner like lily livered cowards. Maybe if Brexit MPs had actually done something over the last 2 years the voting public wouldn't now be having 2nd thoughts.

I get you're angry, it's a result of you not getting what you want .... problem is, the majority of Brexiters were never going to get what they want as there was never a Brexit consensus of what 'out' actually meant. For some it was Norway, for others Canada, for others crash out.

It would be quite entertaining if it wasn't so destructive to my country. You will never be forgiven by remainers - better get used to that.
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                  Take a chill pill dude. Your Brexit MPs have all done a runner and are scared to stand up and try to find a solution.
                  Shirley Cameron and Osborne were Bremainers? Or did that change after they did a runner?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    Shirley Cameron and Osborne were Bremainers? Or did that change after they did a runner?

So was May...

I'm not angry, other than at the many who think that because they lost a democratic vote that they have a divine right to insult people who voted the other way, and cry foul over something that hasn't happened yet and won't pan out for several years.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X