• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2nd Referendum question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd Referendum question

Just supposing we do have a peoples referendum on the Bexit Deal. What would be on the Ballot paper and how would you reconcile the result democratically?

For example:
    Possible choices on a ballot paper could be:

1. EU Agreed Deal (what ever that might be)
    2. No deal
    3. Withdraw Article 50 letter

Now just supposing that we have a result (of those who could be bother to vote) where the outcome was

1. 27%
    2. 25%
    3. 48%

What is the democratic result? The 48% who vote to withdraw the Article 50 letter or the 52% that vote for the UK to leave via one of the two options presented?

I know this is all hypothetical but, I would be particularly interested in the views of those who would vote for option 3.

The problem with a 2nd referendum as I see it is that unless you can present an equal number of options to both sides then the result can too easily be skewed and solves nothing. As the only option that the remainers seem to want is a simple remain in the EU, the any 2nd referendum would have to have a simple do you want to leave question, which is not a referendum on the deal on the table. I would suggest that any 2nd referendum on the Brexit deal does not have an option that in anyway suggest or allows the UK to remain in the EU because that deal is not, as far as the UK government is concerned, on the table.

Kuatb

Exactly the question I asked a few weeks ago: https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...rendum+eirikur

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
      Just supposing we do have a peoples referendum on the Bexit Deal. What would be on the Ballot paper and how would you reconcile the result democratically?

For example:

2. No deal

Now just supposing that we have a result (of those who could be bother to vote) where the outcome was

1. 27%
      2. 25%
      3. 48%

What is the democratic result? The 48% who vote to withdraw the Article 50 letter or the 52% that vote for the UK to leave via one of the two options presented?

I know this is all hypothetical but, I would be particularly interested in the views of those who would vote for option 3.

The problem with a 2nd referendum as I see it is that unless you can present an equal number of options to both sides then the result can too easily be skewed and solves nothing. As the only option that the remainers seem to want is a simple remain in the EU, the any 2nd referendum would have to have a simple do you want to leave question, which is not a referendum on the deal on the table. I would suggest that any 2nd referendum on the Brexit deal does not have an option that in anyway suggest or allows the UK to remain in the EU because that deal is not, as far as the UK government is concerned, on the table.
      Single transferable vote would fix that
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

For example:

2. No deal

1. 27%
        2. 25%
        3. 48%

There should be 3 options on the ballot:

1. No deal
        2. No deal
        3. No deal

I want the people who voted for Brexit to get what they want
        Pain is usually the fastest way of learning facts
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          Single transferable vote would fix that
          The Gammon Democratic Front would never accept that as it would land on EEA membership.

Much more fun to have a straight choice between remain and WTO rules.

Comment

You know what the people's vote will consist of.

1. You wish to remain in the EU Yes - no
            Remember the sky will fall in if you vote no.
            2. You wish to remain in the EU Yes - no
            You know we will beat you like a Catalan voter if you say no???
            3. You wish to remain in the EU Yes - no

okay all right we will give you a few quid.
            4. You wish to remain in the EU Yes - no

You sick racist barsteward, aren't you dead yet?? I bet you drown kittens - I want to leave the glorious EU and subsist on recycle cardboard, No Non No

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              There should be 3 options on the ballot:

1. No deal
              2. No deal
              3. No deal

I want the people who voted for Brexit to get what they want
              Thankfully though, nobody actually CARES what YOU want. Now run along and collect all of those toys and put them back in your pram!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                You know what the people's vote will consist of.

1. You wish to remain in the EU Yes - no
                Remember the sky will fall in if you vote no.
                2. You wish to remain in the EU Yes - no
                You know we will beat you like a Catalan voter if you say no???
                3. You wish to remain in the EU Yes - no

okay all right we will give you a few quid.
                4. You wish to remain in the EU Yes - no

You sick racist barsteward, aren't you dead yet?? I bet you drown kittens - I want to leave the glorious EU and subsist on recycle cardboard, No Non No

Project Cretin marches on.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                  Kuatb

Exactly the question I asked a few weeks ago: https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...rendum+eirikur
                  Apologies for re-asking the question, but non of the remainers answered the question posed then either.

So How do you have a peoples referendum on the available leave the EU deals offered and reconcile the democratic result in there are more options to leave on the ballot paper then there are to remain. I would be interested to know how those who are asking for a referendum on the deal would reconcile the result democratically and can we have actually have a remain optio0n on the ballot paper given that remain is not one of the options supported by either of the two main UK political parties, or the elected Uk government?

Comment

Apologies for re-asking the question, but non of the remainers answered the question posed then either.

So How do you have a peoples referendum on the available leave the EU deals offered and reconcile the democratic result in there are more options to leave on the ballot paper then there are to remain. I would be interested to know how those who are asking for a referendum on the deal would reconcile the result democratically and can we have actually have a remain optio0n on the ballot paper given that remain is not one of the options supported by either of the two main UK political parties, or the elected Uk government?
                    There could be even more options on the ballot paper 4. reject deal and renegotiate for example

So if no option reaches 50% + 1 votes or more there should be a third referendum really, the top two answers from the second referendum, will be re-asked in the 3d one
                    Not ideal, but better then a transferable vote in my opinion

Comment

Working...
                    X