• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If

If we had another referendum...and leave won by a small margin, would we need another referendum?

If we had another referendum...and remain won by a small margin, would we need another referendum?

You see the problem with referendums?

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    If we had another referendum...and leave won by a small margin, would we need another referendum?

If we had another referendum...and remain won by a small margin, would we need another referendum?

Easy if the EU lose we need another referendum after re-education.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Constitutional referendums should require 2/3 votes and at least 2/3 turnout.

Comment

...a picture paints a thousand words...

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Switzerland does not have problems with referendums, they are in regular basis - direct democracy model is the best

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Switzerland does not have problems with referendums, they are in regular basis - direct democracy model is the best
            But Germany did in the 30's which is why they are no longer used there...
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

The winning margin of the last referendum is not the critical argument for a new referendum. That would be the parlous situation to which the UK has been driven by the Brexit process.

I am, however, very drunk, so may have erroneously omitted to fully consider the cretinism of leavers as a factor.

Comment

People have short memories. The campaign for the UK to leave the EU started in 1969 when Edward Heath applied for Britain to join and continued on after the 1975 referendum.

Leading politician calls for Britain to leave the EEC after the first referendum in 1976/

That leading politician and other Eurosceptics were so successful in arguing to leave by constantly banging on about it, that In 1980 when Michael Foot took over the Labour party leaving the EEC was put in the manifesto, meaning that the 1983 general election was also a referendum on leaving the EEC.

Labour's 1983 manifesto

Labour promised to begin withdrawal from the EEC without a referendum if it won power.
                When that attempt failed James Goldsmith set up a party called the "Referendum Party", and everyone remembers the constant fights in the Tory party on the EEC/EU.

I predict Brexiteternity. I very much suspect that in the decades to come that the UK will be in and out of the EU like a yo yo,

Brexit is a bit like communism, if you want it to work then you need a hard nosed dictator to put all the Remoaners in a Gulag.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  People have short memories. The campaign for the UK to leave the EU started in 1969 when Edward Heath applied for Britain to join and continued on after the 1975 referendum.

Leading politician calls for Britain to leave the EEC after the first referendum in 1976/

That leading politician and other Eurosceptics were so successful in arguing to leave by constantly banging on about it, that In 1980 when Michael Foot took over the Labour party leaving the EEC was put in the manifesto, meaning that the 1983 general election was also a referendum on leaving the EEC.

Labour's 1983 manifesto

When that attempt failed James Goldsmith set up a party called the "Referendum Party", and everyone remembers the constant fights in the Tory party on the EEC/EU.

I predict Brexiteternity. I very much suspect that in the decades to come that the UK will be in and out of the EU like a yo yo,

Brexit is a bit like communism, if you want it to work then you need a hard nosed dictator to put all the Remoaners in a Gulag.

Usual bollux, lack of understanding and deceit from the remoaners

referendumˌrɛfəˈrɛndəm/
                  noun
                  [COLOR=#878787 !important][/COLOR]
                  • a general vote by the electorate on a single political question which has been referred to them for a direct decision.

Try as you might a general election can not be a referendum by definition. I know the politicians talk this kind of tulip but I thought some of you might understand it.

Stop bleating there were 2 referendum - 1 to bless joining the common market and one to escape the EU super state. You lost the second one.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    Usual bollux, lack of understanding and deceit from the remoaners

Try as you might a general election can not be a referendum by definition. I know the politicians talk this kind of tulip but I thought some of you might understand it.

Stop bleating there were 2 referendum - 1 to bless joining the common market and one to escape the EU super state. You lost the second one.
                    I'm afraid to say that we've all lost. You've just not learned to accept that yet. A couple of years of hard Brexit should help you understand how cretinous the referendum was.

But to answer the original question, we should only consider a 2nd ref if it is clear that the public is overwhelmingly now against leaving. Only a very clear remain (or leave) would resolve this farce. Until then, we should continue to head out; if leave prove to be right, all will be good post Brexit and the years that follow and remainers will accept they were wrong. If as we suspect, the remainers are right and the UK crashes into a recession, then a second ref will be used to get us back in. Of course, this assumes a proper Brexit rather than BRINO.
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                    X