• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Irish Problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    I'll take a look. Thank you.

So far everything I've read points at "Did a little trade, did some pottering around, hooked up with a disgruntled exiled Irish Prince. Didn't get round to invading due to pressing matters at home." <-- My paraphrasing.
    And that is probably a reasonable consensus view, but the matter is far from settled. The Drumanagh fort compulsory purchase has been completed and it will be good to see what turns up. It's not too far down the road from me, so I'm hoping it's interesting.

Comment

Did the Romans invade Ireland?
      Should this not come under the heading

What Did The Romans Ever Do For Us?

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
        Should this not come under the heading

What Did The Romans Never Do For Us?

What Did The Romans Never Do For Us?

Gratis...
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

"Ancient Greek geographers depicted the Irish as a savage population living in miserable surroundings"

So nothing much has changed then?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            "Ancient Greek geographers depicted the Irish as a savage population living in miserable surroundings"

Gammon xenophobia doesn't appear to have changed. I suspect it comes from post-imperialist guilt and a sense of inferiority.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              Gammon xenophobia doesn't appear to have changed. I suspect it comes from post-imperialist guilt and a sense of inferiority.
              Well... That didn't take too long, did it?
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Nor should it.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  Nor should it.
                  6 minutes

must do better.

Comment

They must have gone to Scotland by mistake...
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                    X