• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: The Irish Problem

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Irish Problem"

Collapse

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    "Ancient Greek geographers depicted the Irish as a savage population living in miserable surroundings"

So nothing much has changed then?
    They must have gone to Scotland by mistake...

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Well... That didn't take too long, did it?
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Nor should it.
    6 minutes

must do better.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Nor should it.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    "Ancient Greek geographers depicted the Irish as a savage population living in miserable surroundings"

Gammon xenophobia doesn't appear to have changed. I suspect it comes from post-imperialist guilt and a sense of inferiority.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied

Gammon xenophobia doesn't appear to have changed. I suspect it comes from post-imperialist guilt and a sense of inferiority.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    Should this not come under the heading

What Did The Romans Never Do For Us?

What Did The Romans Never Do For Us?

Gratis...

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied
    Did the Romans invade Ireland?
    Should this not come under the heading

What Did The Romans Ever Do For Us?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    I'll take a look. Thank you.

So far everything I've read points at "Did a little trade, did some pottering around, hooked up with a disgruntled exiled Irish Prince. Didn't get round to invading due to pressing matters at home." <-- My paraphrasing.
    And that is probably a reasonable consensus view, but the matter is far from settled. The Drumanagh fort compulsory purchase has been completed and it will be good to see what turns up. It's not too far down the road from me, so I'm hoping it's interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    If you are interested, you probably want to read 'Roman Ireland'. Not read it myself, but I understand that it makes a case for invasion. There is no definitive proof either way.

The academia.edu link was showing a British Archaeology article.
    I'll take a look. Thank you.

So far everything I've read points at "Did a little trade, did some pottering around, hooked up with a disgruntled exiled Irish Prince. Didn't get round to invading due to pressing matters at home." <-- My paraphrasing.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Academia.edu is not a university or institution for higher learning.

Is a similar paper available elsewhere?
    If you are interested, you probably want to read 'Roman Ireland'. Not read it myself, but I understand that it makes a case for invasion. There is no definitive proof either way.

The academia.edu link was showing a British Archaeology article.
    Last edited by Old Greg; 2 July 2018, 12:04.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    You obviously don't know much about Roman history or historiography and the associated challenges in ascertaining with certainty historical facts. Take a look at the footnotes to the wiki link I provided and you will see that there is a lack of clarity about the matter. One of the footnote links is broken so I have provided a link here:

Yes, the Romans did invade Ireland | Richard B Warner - Academia.edu

It is the kind of topic that academics will debate, but it is unlikely to be resolved one way or another.
    Academia.edu is not a university or institution for higher learning.

Is a similar paper available elsewhere?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    To you, obviously. Try a little more reading with regards to your new homeland.

The phrase "As Rome’s Continental conflicts escalated, the invasion of Ireland was suspended indefinitely." might help.
    You obviously don't know much about Roman history or historiography and the associated challenges in ascertaining with certainty historical facts. Take a look at the footnotes to the wiki link I provided and you will see that there is a lack of clarity about the matter. One of the footnote links is broken so I have provided a link here:

Yes, the Romans did invade Ireland | Richard B Warner - Academia.edu

It is the kind of topic that academics will debate, but it is unlikely to be resolved one way or another.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    It's unclear.
    To you, obviously. Try a little more reading with regards to your new homeland.

The phrase "As Rome’s Continental conflicts escalated, the invasion of Ireland was suspended indefinitely." might help.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Did the Romans invade Ireland?
    It's unclear.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X