• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Democracy in action

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Democracy in action

A link for those who don't like Guardian/Indy links: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/631891...ouse-of-lords/

So the government keep getting defeated by an unelected body so the answer is to enlarge this unelected body so they might win in the future. how does this stand with Brexiteers who moan about unelected bodies
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

You need to look at who is paying for those unelected people (hint; mostly it's not the UK). And they won't win anyway, all they are doing is wasting time*. The Commons can and will overrule anything from the Upper House, especially if it would breach something in their manifesto.

* This is, of course, their whole purpose: keep delaying things in the hope it will result in a pointless compromise meaning we don't actually leave the EU, merely lose all influence over it while still paying for the (non) privilege of membership. It still won't work but their too dim to understand that.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      You need to look at who is paying for those unelected people (hint; mostly it's not the UK). And they won't win anyway, all they are doing is wasting time*. The Commons can and will overrule anything from the Upper House, especially if it would breach something in their manifesto.

* This is, of course, their whole purpose: keep delaying things in the hope it will result in a pointless compromise meaning we don't actually leave the EU, merely lose all influence over it while still paying for the (non) privilege of membership. It still won't work but their too dim to understand that.
      The parliament act is what allows the Commons to overrule the Lords. To use the parliament act it has to be a manifesto item, specifically the Salisbury Convention. As you stated above.

That is one reason why Theresa may called a GE. To have Brexit in a manifesto.

However...... The question still remains though on whether a minority government can invoke the Salisbury Convention or not. It's never been done and if the Lords dug their heels in it would take a GE, with a majority government to overrule them.

IANACL

EDIT: they're
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        A link for those who don't like Guardian/Indy links: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/631891...ouse-of-lords/

So the government keep getting defeated by an unelected body so the answer is to enlarge this unelected body so they might win in the future. how does this stand with Brexiteers who moan about unelected bodies
        Amusingly, the Daily Mail has reverted once more to its 1930s Nazi rhetoric days.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          Amusingly, the Daily Mail has reverted once more to its 1930s Nazi rhetoric days.

Just like the good old days, really.

Comment

It's not as if there's a majority in the commons for a "hard" a.k.a. real Brexit anyway
            Which is a pity because I'd really like it to happen.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

You need to look at who is paying for those unelected people (hint; mostly it's not the UK).
              Care to elaborate? Most of them have some sort of directorship, remunerated employment, shareholding, or land and property within the UK, UK companies or public services. The register of their interests is here:
              https://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-...rds-interests/

And they won't win anyway, all they are doing is wasting time*. The Commons can and will overrule anything from the Upper House, especially if it would breach something in their manifesto.

It's not about winning (typical Brexiter mindset), it's about pointing out where things might not be in the best interests of the UK as a whole and referring it back to Parliament for a wider decision.

In a 52/48 decision compromise isn't pointless, it's necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                Care to elaborate? Most of them have some sort of directorship, remunerated employment, shareholding, or land and property within the UK, UK companies or public services. The register of their interests is here:
                https://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-...rds-interests/

It's not about winning (typical Brexiter mindset), it's about pointing out where things might not be in the best interests of the UK as a whole and referring it back to Parliament for a wider decision.

In a 52/48 decision compromise isn't pointless, it's necessary.
                Well, if you say so. I reserve the right to disagree.

And as usual, can't resist the usual delusional remoaner snide dig. I am not, for one thing a typical anything. I am allowed, however, to think we are ultimately better off away from the EU's management. YMMV. I couldn't care less.

Incidentally anyone, including peers of the Realm, who have worked for the EU and so receive a pension from them are required to support and promote the EU or see that pension stop. So take another look at the main opposition Lords...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post

There, there, darmie, you don't need to step on every upturned spade. Leave some for sas and scootie.

Adding five ex-Tory MPs for remoan and one for Brexit hardly changes the arithmetic in the HoL.

Comment

Well, if you say so. I reserve the right to disagree.

And as usual, can't resist the usual delusional remoaner snide dig. I am not, for one thing a typical anything. I am allowed, however, to think we are ultimately better off away from the EU's management. YMMV. I couldn't care less.
                    Oh dear, you really are pathetic aren't you my friend? That's not me calling you pathetic, by the way, that's you calling yourself pathetic for using an offensive name to describe someone who doesn't agree with you.

You gammoners really are stupid

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                    If you have to invent an offensive term (in your little mind) to describe somebody who doesn't agree with you, then by definition you must be a fairly pathetic little
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                    X