• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A question to Brexiters ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    My thoughts on this are that pork is not eaten by many Asians on religious grounds and that it would be particularly insensitive to use pork derived insults at them given this context.
    my thoughts on that comment is you're using a very broad stereotype for Asian.
    In fact it's bulltulip.

Pretty much everyone east of India eats Pork, and that's more Asians eating pork than those who don't.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      Yes although if you look the Nazi's did things like

1) the night of a thousands knives - that's one way to remove any political opposition
      2) Killed millions for no reason other than they were told these people were subhuman

I dunno but saying you want to
      1) retain the culture of the country you live in
      2) help people who for whatever reason have washed up on our shores illegally get home

is not really in the same boat is it?

But sadly it seems Nazi is now the word applied to anyone who actually quite likes the UK and its' quant little ways and idiosyncrasies .
      my word. I find myself agreeing with OPM. I think I'll go and lie down for a bit.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        In fact it's bulltulip.

Pretty much everyone east of India eats Pork, and that's more Asians eating pork than those who don't.
        You’re right. I was thinking more the Indian Sub continent rather than East Asia. I take your point onboard. Apologies for being sloppy.
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

In fact it's bulltulip.

Tut tut tut. You get on your high horse and then forget about Indonesia and Malaysia.

Comment

my word. I find myself agreeing with OPM. I think I'll go and lie down for a bit.
            Please do.

And while you’re lying down, please remember that fascism didn’t start with death camps, that’s how it ended. It started with normal people legitimising their intolerance.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
              Please do.

And while you’re lying down, please remember that fascism didn’t start with death camps, that’s how it ended. It started with normal people legitimising their intolerance.
              Why is wanting to retain the culture of your the country you were born in intolerant?

And therefore by your own logical deduction any country that is proud of it's heritage is facist?

So no more lederhosen, lager and sausage - that's culture and therefore intolerant.

No more of this praying 5 times a day lark - that's culture and therefore intolerant.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Tut tut tut. You get on your high horse and then forget about Indonesia and Malaysia.
                oh no I didn't.
                A billion Hindus and half a billion Buddhists far out-scale the just under a billion Moslems.
                What about the vegetarian Hindis you ask? (well that's the question you should have asked as that's where the balance could be). It's estimated at around 80%.

Anyway. Here's some numbers (all in millions)

Christian 290
                None 860
                20% Hindu 200
                Bud 482
                Folk 370
                other 52
                Tot 2254

Islam 1000
                80 % Hindu 800
                Tot 1800

It's pretty close, and there are other vegetarians as well. And the Wikipedia source is a little questionable (the totals don't add up completely and seem to be missing a few million Jews in the last row). But the numbers broadly reflect my point.... which was that it was a sweeping generalisation to say most Asians don't eat pork.

Just cos Brexiters hate facts and evidence doesn't mean the rest should.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

oh no I didn't.
                  A billion Hindus and half a billion Buddhists far out-scale the just under a billion Moslems.
                  What about the vegetarian Hindis you ask? (well that's the question you should have asked as that's where the balance could be). It's estimated at around 80%.

Anyway. Here's some numbers (all in millions)

Christian 290
                  None 860
                  20% Hindu 200
                  Bud 482
                  Folk 370
                  other 52
                  Tot 2254

Islam 1000
                  80 % Hindu 800
                  Tot 1800

It's pretty close, and there are other vegetarians as well. And the Wikipedia source is a little questionable (the totals don't add up completely and seem to be missing a few million Jews in the last row). But the numbers broadly reflect my point.... which was that it was a sweeping generalisation to say most Asians don't eat pork.

Just cos Brexiters hate facts and evidence doesn't mean the rest should.
                  So what % of Asians do you say eat pork?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    So what % of Asians do you say eat pork?
                    I don't.
                    There are too many factors, like who can afford pork, who has access to pork, who won't eat pork on principle.

I would say that many do eat pork.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I don't.
                      There are too many factors, like who can afford pork, who has access to pork, who won't eat pork on principle.

I would say that many do eat pork.
                      How do you get to more than half?

Comment

Working...
                      X