• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What does Brexit mean for me?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Two of the most common arguments I hear against the EU are:

1) It's no problem to trade with the EU on WTO rules, every other country does it, what a waste of money paying to access the single market.

2) The EU is a protectionist trading block that impoverishes anyone nation outside by not allowing them to trade into the EU.

Generally people who pull out the WTO rules card are borderline retarded.

To demonstrate the difference, go on a website of a company based in the EU and buy a £500 item. It'll turn up at your house in 2 or 3 days with no hassle.

Then go on an American website and purchase the same item and see what happens next. Arseholes.
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post

To demonstrate the difference, go on a website of a company based in the EU and buy a £500 item. It'll turn up at your house in 2 or 3 days with no hassle.

Then go on an American website and purchase the same item and see what happens next. Arseholes.
      Indeed I made the mistake of ordering an article in Switzerland from Germany.

After 4 weeks of waiting I managed to arrange to have my payment refunded.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

The North being hit particularly disproportionally:

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          Two of the most common arguments I hear against the EU are:

1) It's no problem to trade with the EU on WTO rules, every other country does it, what a waste of money paying to access the single market.

2) The EU is a protectionist trading block that impoverishes anyone nation outside by not allowing them to trade into the EU.

Where do you hear these arguments from? Because it's incredibly general and vague. If anyone said either of those arguments to me then I would ask them what they meant.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
            There’s no motives, and it’s not research, it’s the Everything But Arms scheme and is applied by the EU (of which the U.K. is currently a participating member)

Try this link for the source of the scheme:

Everything But Arms | Trade Helpdesk

And here’s the Generalised System of Preferences:

Generalised Scheme of Preferences (GSP) - Trade - European Commission

For a wider explanation of the various schemes including EBA, try this twitter thread (about coffee, specifically):

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/9...591453696.html

Jim is a Remainer, obviously, but feel free to follow the links to the EU tariff and scheme pages and draw your own conclusions on what the actual tariffs from developing countries are.

The counter argument is that for those countries that currently DO have tariffs (Brazil, China, etc) we could certainly reduce our food bill by unilaterally reducing their tariffs to 0. However, increased imports of foodstuffs from those countries would mean increased pressure on developing countries to compete, and would probably harm those developing countries more. It’s a balancing act that we need to be on the right side of.
            FFS, you post me a load of links from trade.ec.europa.eu - Jeesh.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
              Where do you hear these arguments from?
              Nigel Farage
              Jacob Rees-Mogg
              Boris Johnson
              Michael Gove
              Bill Cash
              Ian Duncain Smith
              Owen Patterson
              ....etc etc

If anyone said either of those arguments to me then I would ask them what they meant.
              indeed....they usually come back with more slogans, such as there will be 350 million for the NHS, the EU can go whistle, oh the other one I like is footwear, food and clothes will be cheaper after Brexit, because that is what the plebs who voted leave spend most of their money on.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

What does Brexit mean for me?

FFS, you post me a load of links from trade.ec.europa.eu - Jeesh.
                Erm, yes, the actual tariffs applicable. Sorry, I thought you were after facts.

And this is why it’s difficult having a conversation about Brexit, if your reaction to the facts about actual tariffs is “FFS”. If those tariffs are wrong, say so, instead of being incredibly general and vague.

Comment

I expect the same will happen next year once the UK have left the single market and customs union and dropping out of the Digital Single Market
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

To answer CFL's original question, this may help, although it might be too biased for some towards those who voted to remain:

Brexit analysis from dodgy source?
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      T answer CFL's original question, this may help, although it might be too biased for some towards those who voted to remain:

Brexit analysis from dodgy source?
                      Was just about to post that link: https://www.parliament.uk/documents/...l-Briefing.pdf

Ever since the referendum anyone who has raised the point that Brexit will have a big negative impact on our economy has been howled down as a 'scaremonger' or 'doing Britain down' or worse.

Yet here is the Governments own Brexit report coming to exactly the same conclusion we and many others have reached ... no wonder they fought so hard to keep it secret

So Brexiters, anyone want to apologise and admit they were wrong? (Holds breath in anticipation!)
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X