• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The more sinister side of Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    you guys like it all black and white don't you. Makes it much easier to justify your opinion.

Maybe. Just maybe some are (it's still happening even if TwatFarage isn't on TV every day) economic migrants, some are fleeing war, some are fleeing criminal gangs, some are fleeing religious persecution, and some are terrorists coming here to blow us up.
    Either way the answer isn't simple. In fact there isn't really an answer. We can't just let them drown. We can't just let them in. We can't fix where they are. We can't really do much other than work collectively, with as many groups around the world as possible to make everywhere a better place to live.

Twats who voted Brexit as a solution to this are thick as mince cupid stunts.
    Maybe all those criminals who fled some years ago to the Costa del Sol will have to return
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      Maybe all those criminals who fled some years ago to the Costa del Sol will have to return
      Imagine how pissed off they will be

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        you guys like it all black and white don't you. Makes it much easier to justify your opinion.

Maybe. Just maybe some are (it's still happening even if TwatFarage isn't on TV every day) economic migrants, some are fleeing war, some are fleeing criminal gangs, some are fleeing religious persecution, and some are terrorists coming here to blow us up.
        Either way the answer isn't simple. In fact there isn't really an answer. We can't just let them drown. We can't just let them in. We can't fix where they are. We can't really do much other than work collectively, with as many groups around the world as possible to make everywhere a better place to live.
        I think it fair to say that the people fleeing are in some way, shape or form wanting a better life. Who could criticise them for that - I for sure would do the same given the same circumstances. I am not so sure though that a small, overcrowded island needs to make itself so attractive?
        P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Originally posted by simondolan View Post
          I think it fair to say that the people fleeing are in some way, shape or form wanting a better life. Who could criticise them for that - I for sure would do the same given the same circumstances. I am not so sure though that a small, overcrowded island needs to make itself so attractive?
          Brexit will solve that
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Small overcrowded island? Surely it's all relative, Simon?

http://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/co...34290/officers

DOLAN, Simon James

Correspondence address
            Palazzo Leonardo, 10 Avenue Des Ligures, Monaco, Monaco, 98000
            Monaco has an area of 2.02 km² and a population density of 19,009 per km².

Great Britain has an area of 209,331 km² and a population density of 302 inhabitants per km².

Immigrants in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              Small overcrowded island? Surely it's all relative, Simon?

Monaco has an area of 2.02 km² and a population density of 19,009 per km².

Great Britain has an area of 209,331 km² and a population density of 302 inhabitants per km².

Immigrants in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
              I'm not sure its entirely necessary to publish my full home address at every opportunity?

Nor am I sure of the point you are trying to make. Are you saying that until the UK population density reaches 19,000 per km2 people should be free to make their home there and be provided with the full range of benefits etc? You do know that'd be just under 4bn people living there?

Comment

I'm not sure its entirely necessary to publish my full home address at every opportunity?
                It's a matter of public record Simon. Don't be so grumpy.

Nor am I sure of the point you are trying to make. Are you saying that until the UK population density reaches 19,000 per km2 people should be free to make their home there and be provided with the full range of benefits etc? You do know that'd be just under 4bn people living there?
                I'm saying that the UK is not a small overcrowded island. The rest of your post is either a rhetorical question strawman, or a meaningless ramble, depending on how charitable one is being.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                  It's a matter of public record Simon. Don't be so grumpy.

I'm saying that the UK is not a small overcrowded island. The rest of your post is either a rhetorical question strawman, or a meaningless ramble, depending on how charitable one is being.
                  And being a matter of public record its not necessary for you to publish on here ad nauseam.

As you said:

"Small overcrowded island? Surely it's all relative, Simon?"

Indeed. Which is why your comparison with Monaco was pointless. You may just as well have compared it to Greenland

Comment

And being a matter of public record its not necessary for you to publish on here ad nauseam.
                    Not necessary, of course, like much of what we post on General. But not a problem, either, presumably, as it's a matter of public record.

As you said:

"Small overcrowded island? Surely it's all relative, Simon?"

Indeed. Which is why your comparison with Monaco was pointless. You may just as well have compared it to Greenland
                    The comparison with Monaco is not pointless, but neither is it exhaustive or conclusive. All part of the merry banter of General conversation, Simon. Tell us why you think that Great Britain is a small and overcrowded island - they are your words, after all.

Comment

This map shows that the notion of the UK being built up is more perception than reality. Only 6% of the country is actually built on.

A green and pleasant land: Map reveals more than half of Britain is countryside | Daily Mail Online

Plenty of open space in the UK.

I visit my sister in London and it certainly doesn't appear any more crowded than anywhere else I've lived and I've lived in quite a few countries.

The fact is if you actually get out of your car you'll find plenty of remote countryside on your doorstep wherever you live and that includes London which is mainly built up and down the Thames. Just a short step from the City and you're up on Shooters hill, where all you see is countryside. Fact is people drive around on roads. Roads are where settlements are built so of course if you drive around in a car you get the impression that Britain is "full".
                      Last edited by BlasterBates; 17 October 2017, 13:06.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X