• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The more sinister side of Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    So there we have it. Its tough that we let china and half the developing world build stuff for almost slave labour money and as a result we have no work for our own lower classes. They will just have to sit on their arse and be poor. (not that they can because we are in the middle of making work pay...)

I'm pretty sure that executing our own Monarch and having a Civil war in the middle ages was pretty damn unnecessary too. But the problem is the poor don't really care about economics and our comfort and want a change. Im not so selfish to deny them that right just because Im better off than them.
    The biggest problem in the West is what to do with the 52% of people of below average intelligence in an economy that pays highly only for strong cognitive skills or entrepreneurship. But withdrawing from the world only makes the problem worse.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

So there we have it. Its tough that we let china and half the developing world build stuff for almost slave labour money and as a result we have no work for our own lower classes. They will just have to sit on their arse and be poor. (not that they can because we are in the middle of making work pay...)

I'm pretty sure that executing our own Monarch and having a Civil war in the middle ages was pretty damn unnecessary too. But the problem is the poor don't really care about economics and our comfort and want a change. Im not so selfish to deny them that right just because Im better off than them.
      What a strawman that is! Globalisation is a tough challenge, but the West can no longer suppress industrial production in developing countries as it did in imperial times. Effective responses to the challenge are possible but complex. However, chucking petrol on the fire because we have to do something won't help.

Footnote: the Civil War and execution of Charles I did not occur in the Middle Ages.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        The biggest problem in the West is what to do with the 52% of people of below average intelligence in an economy that pays highly only for strong cognitive skills or entrepreneurship. But withdrawing from the world only makes the problem worse.
        52% below average?
        Citation needed.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          52% below average?
          Citation needed.
          EU Referendum Results - BBC News
          Yes I do know about the Gaussian and how it works ...
          Last edited by sasguru; 17 October 2017, 15:26.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Actually I do live in the middle of nowhere...

Its far from boring. I can do all the usual country stuff and pop into the surrounding nice cities and get trains to most places and I even have an international airport not too far away... The problem is we have not set the infrastructure up in this country to populate every square foot. We have hundreds of crapy bottlenecks all over the place.

Been more than happy with the Eastern Europeans that have been here they have washed my cars fantastically and put lots into the local economies... But the point is their gains were some local businesses lost trade. You cannot / should not expect to screw up another classes income base and not expect a kickback for hurting them...

There is a bloody good reason the youngsters are earning bugger all and that is we let outsourcing and immigration subdue wage growth...
            Barriers won't work, you have to compete in global markets. In any case businesses don't simply pay the lowest wage they can get away with. There are numerous academic studies to show that simply isn't the case.

One thing I can guarantee is that the people who voted Brexit because they thought foreigners were stealing their jobs will be a lot worse off.

As Norman Tebbit says they need to get off their fat backsides, get themselves some training and get a decent job instead whining. Margaret Thatcher would have called them moaning minnies.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

EU Referendum Results - BBC News
              Yes I do know about the Gaussian and how it works ...
              Brilliant.
              I slipped into the 52% briefly there....
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                Barriers won't work, you have to compete in global markets. In any case businesses don't simply pay the lowest wage they can get away with. There are numerous academic studies to show that simply isn't the case.

One thing I can guarantee is that the people who voted Brexit because they thought foreigners were stealing their jobs will be a lot worse off.

As Norman Tebbit says they need to get off their fat backsides, get themselves some training and get a decent job instead whining. Margaret Thatcher would have called them moaning minnies.
                I actually wish Thatcher was still around at the moment (first time ever). She’d end this debacle. And Corbyn would be toast.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Looks like Brexit no deal is now completely off the table, which was the only slither of hope left for a real Brexit.

Brexit no deal not possible

There will be lots of gnashing of teeth and then the UK will cave into whatever demands the EU have made.

Not only will it be a sh*te deal the EU will probably drag their heels which will maximise damage to the UK as companies flee the uncertainty of how sh*te the deal is going to be.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

You say there is no work for the lower classes, but there are plenty of jobs and if a company puts an advert in the paper for someone in the lower classes for example to work on a fruit farm or work in a factory no-one applies, and therein lies the problem that the lower classes no longer exist except in the idealised world of the Brexiteer.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

It is sufficient intelligence that matters, not average, within this context.

Comment

Working...
                      X