• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit negotiations Day 1 - EU owed UK, UK caved in

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit negotiations Day 1 - EU owed UK, UK caved in

Or so reads them Deutsche papers... but now see a BBC version of the same story.

Ouch.

It's often compared to a divorce - the UK wanted to talk about who gets the house and the CD collection at the same time as settling who pays for the kids' weddings in 20 years' time.

The EU on the other hand have been firm all along that the future arrangements could only be discussed once the terms of the initial split have been agreed.

The debate was called "parallelism versus sequentialism" and from this afternoon's press conference and the announcement of the procedure it is clear that the UK has lost.

Ministers believed they would be able to persuade the EU - the failure to do so has been described as a "total cave-in".
    Brexit negotiations: Barnier rules out 'concessions'
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Daniel Hannan suggesting the UK would experience significant growth, singing the praises of Switzerland being able to sign its own trade deals. Obviously he hasn't seen Switzerland's sickly growth rate. He also cleverly glossed over Switzerland's open border and FOM agreement.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

I get this feeling that top Brexiters will be soon seeking asylum in EU...

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        Daniel Hannan suggesting the UK would experience significant growth, singing the praises of Switzerland being able to sign its own trade deals. Obviously he hasn't seen Switzerland's sickly growth rate. He also cleverly glossed over Switzerland's open border and FOM agreement.

Not sure. He sounded pro EEA model this morning.

Comment

After all Theresa May's fine talk, Davis folded like a cheap hooker who got hit in the stomach by a fat guy with sores on his face. In other words, about what we all expected

Comment

Day 1 Cluster****: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...he-first-round

Next round is, I believe, 20th July although apparently May is there on Monday to put her twopence in...
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              Day 1 Cluster****: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...he-first-round

Next round is, I believe, 20th July although apparently May is there on Monday to put her twopence in...
              We can expect more soundbites and empty words.

It wasn’t about the EU punishing the UK – it was just that the consequences of leaving the EU would inevitably be punishing
              This sums it all up for me, and it seems like a lot of Brexit supporters expected the EU to roll over, their over-inflated sense of worth conning them into thinking that the EU had more to lose than we did...

Comment

The big question is what compromises are the UK about to make.

It's pretty clear the EU will make none they'll just offer options. It seems to me either the UK does it's Hard Brexit and ends up like any other third country, or it climbs down on FOM and the budget, and ends up with partial access.

If you look at Switzerland, the deal is total sh*te they don't have full access, there are huge queues at the border, and everything is 10 times as expensive. If Switzerland can negotiate its own deals and that is a huge advantage why aren't the shops full of cheap foreign goods?
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  After all Theresa May's fine talk, Davis folded like a cheap hooker who got hit in the stomach by a fat guy with sores on his face. In other words, about what we all expected
                  Its the fault of everyone who did not vote for her. With 650 seats in the commons it all would have been fine.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    The big question is what compromises are the UK about to make.

It's pretty clear the EU will make none they'll just offer options. It seems to me either the UK does it's Hard Brexit and ends up like any other third country, or it climbs down on FOM and the budget, and ends up with partial access.

If you look at Switzerland, the deal is total sh*te they don't have full access, there are huge queues at the border, and everything is 10 times as expensive. If Switzerland can negotiate its own deals and that is a huge advantage why aren't the shops full of cheap foreign goods?
                    If there are too many compromises you will see the rise of UKIP2.

Comment

Working...
                    X