• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

Brexit negotiations Day 1 - EU owed UK, UK caved in

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    We've covered this one. May offered to guarantee rights from the off, but the EU stick it's nose up.
    I must have missed that... can you point me in the direction of some evidence of that offer?

    Comment


      #32
      Originally posted by grabri View Post
      I must have missed that... can you point me in the direction of some evidence of that offer?
      See point 6 in May's Lancaster House speech from 17 January 2017:

      6. Rights for EU nationals in Britain, and British nationals in the EU

      Fairness demands that we deal with another issue as soon as possible too. We want to guarantee the rights of EU citizens who are already living in Britain, and the rights of British nationals in other member states, as early as we can.

      I have told other EU leaders that we could give people the certainty they want straight away, and reach such a deal now.

      Many of them favour such an agreement – 1 or 2 others do not – but I want everyone to know that it remains an important priority for Britain – and for many other member states – to resolve this challenge as soon as possible. Because it is the right and fair thing to do.

      The government's negotiating objectives for exiting the EU: PM speech - Gov.uk

      Comment


        #33
        Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
        See point 6 in May's Lancaster House speech from 17 January 2017:

        6. Rights for EU nationals in Britain, and British nationals in the EU

        Fairness demands that we deal with another issue as soon as possible too. We want to guarantee the rights of EU citizens who are already living in Britain, and the rights of British nationals in other member states, as early as we can.

        I have told other EU leaders that we could give people the certainty they want straight away, and reach such a deal now.

        Many of them favour such an agreement – 1 or 2 others do not – but I want everyone to know that it remains an important priority for Britain – and for many other member states – to resolve this challenge as soon as possible. Because it is the right and fair thing to do.

        The government's negotiating objectives for exiting the EU: PM speech - Gov.uk
        It's actually a bit more complicated than the "shoot from the hip" approach of the government. Whereas a British government is quite happy to put on back of a cigarette packet that "EU citizens will be alright", lots of guarantees on pensions, rights and who oversees the rights of EU nationals need to be sorted out.

        This is the typical naive approach of the "Brexiters" who fail to see the complexity and enormity of what they're doing.

        Davis had his first lesson in "not being naive" agreeing totally to the EU's timetable on Monday.

        If there are two parties arguing it is usually the party that is right that wins.
        I'm alright Jack

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          It's actually a bit more complicated than the "shoot from the hip" approach of the government. Whereas a British government is quite happy to put on back of a cigarette packet that "EU citizens will be alright", lots of guarantees on pensions, rights and who oversees the rights of EU nationals need to be sorted out.

          This is the typical naive approach of the "Brexiters" who fail to see the complexity and enormity of what they're doing.

          Davis had his first lesson in "not being naive" agreeing totally to the EU's timetable on Monday.

          If there are two parties arguing it is usually the party that is right that wins.
          Whats your view on type of Brexit we will get now we hear that Corbyn and McDonald are in favour of supporting a hard brexit ?
          Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

          Comment


            #35
            Originally posted by original PM View Post
            Interesting - or you could compare it to say Waterfall v Agile.

            I know which one gets the best results.

            And I know which one is geared towards making senior management look good, help their mates line their pockets and which delivers limited benefit too late.

            Not sure why the EU thinks you cannot talk about things in a non sequential manner - unless they are not very bright.
            Which party is the one with the more experienced negotiators?
            Last edited by SueEllen; 20 June 2017, 15:38.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
              Whats your view on type of Brexit we will get now we hear that Corbyn and McDonald are in favour of supporting a hard brexit ?
              It will be a Hard Brexit that will resemble a Soft Brexit. Look no further than Switzerland, ticks all the boxes of a Hard Brexit. Their control of immigration is a rubber stamp in the local community offices, however it does need approval from an official.

              Basically membership but without a vote.

              I'm alright Jack

              Comment


                #37
                To quote the i that I'm reading in the pub :

                Mr Barnier kept a cool uncompromising passive demeaner throughout. By contrast, at the end of the day Davis appeared almost disheveled, and struggled to show his trademark jovial character. And that perhaps spoke volumes regarding who has the upper hand.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

                Comment


                  #38
                  Pour encourage les autres? Or something

                  https://www.rt.com/news/393152-europ...table-germany/

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

                    If there are two parties arguing it is usually the party that is right that wins.
                    So on that basis, presumably you agree that the Leave side won the argument on leaving the EU?
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X