• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Brexit negotiations Day 1 - EU owed UK, UK caved in"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

If there are two parties arguing it is usually the party that is right that wins.
    So on that basis, presumably you agree that the Leave side won the argument on leaving the EU?

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Pour encourage les autres? Or something

https://www.rt.com/news/393152-europ...table-germany/

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    To quote the i that I'm reading in the pub :

Mr Barnier kept a cool uncompromising passive demeaner throughout. By contrast, at the end of the day Davis appeared almost disheveled, and struggled to show his trademark jovial character. And that perhaps spoke volumes regarding who has the upper hand.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
    Whats your view on type of Brexit we will get now we hear that Corbyn and McDonald are in favour of supporting a hard brexit ?
    It will be a Hard Brexit that will resemble a Soft Brexit. Look no further than Switzerland, ticks all the boxes of a Hard Brexit. Their control of immigration is a rubber stamp in the local community offices, however it does need approval from an official.

Basically membership but without a vote.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Interesting - or you could compare it to say Waterfall v Agile.

I know which one gets the best results.

And I know which one is geared towards making senior management look good, help their mates line their pockets and which delivers limited benefit too late.

Not sure why the EU thinks you cannot talk about things in a non sequential manner - unless they are not very bright.
    Which party is the one with the more experienced negotiators?
    Last edited by SueEllen; 20 June 2017, 15:38.

Leave a comment:

• motoukenin
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    It's actually a bit more complicated than the "shoot from the hip" approach of the government. Whereas a British government is quite happy to put on back of a cigarette packet that "EU citizens will be alright", lots of guarantees on pensions, rights and who oversees the rights of EU nationals need to be sorted out.

This is the typical naive approach of the "Brexiters" who fail to see the complexity and enormity of what they're doing.

Davis had his first lesson in "not being naive" agreeing totally to the EU's timetable on Monday.

If there are two parties arguing it is usually the party that is right that wins.
    Whats your view on type of Brexit we will get now we hear that Corbyn and McDonald are in favour of supporting a hard brexit ?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    See point 6 in May's Lancaster House speech from 17 January 2017:

6. Rights for EU nationals in Britain, and British nationals in the EU

Fairness demands that we deal with another issue as soon as possible too. We want to guarantee the rights of EU citizens who are already living in Britain, and the rights of British nationals in other member states, as early as we can.

I have told other EU leaders that we could give people the certainty they want straight away, and reach such a deal now.

Many of them favour such an agreement – 1 or 2 others do not – but I want everyone to know that it remains an important priority for Britain – and for many other member states – to resolve this challenge as soon as possible. Because it is the right and fair thing to do.

The government's negotiating objectives for exiting the EU: PM speech - Gov.uk
    It's actually a bit more complicated than the "shoot from the hip" approach of the government. Whereas a British government is quite happy to put on back of a cigarette packet that "EU citizens will be alright", lots of guarantees on pensions, rights and who oversees the rights of EU nationals need to be sorted out.

This is the typical naive approach of the "Brexiters" who fail to see the complexity and enormity of what they're doing.

Davis had his first lesson in "not being naive" agreeing totally to the EU's timetable on Monday.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by grabri View Post
    I must have missed that... can you point me in the direction of some evidence of that offer?
    See point 6 in May's Lancaster House speech from 17 January 2017:

6. Rights for EU nationals in Britain, and British nationals in the EU

Fairness demands that we deal with another issue as soon as possible too. We want to guarantee the rights of EU citizens who are already living in Britain, and the rights of British nationals in other member states, as early as we can.

I have told other EU leaders that we could give people the certainty they want straight away, and reach such a deal now.

Many of them favour such an agreement – 1 or 2 others do not – but I want everyone to know that it remains an important priority for Britain – and for many other member states – to resolve this challenge as soon as possible. Because it is the right and fair thing to do.

The government's negotiating objectives for exiting the EU: PM speech - Gov.uk

Leave a comment:

• grabri
    replied
    We've covered this one. May offered to guarantee rights from the off, but the EU stick it's nose up.
    I must have missed that... can you point me in the direction of some evidence of that offer?

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    The stand off nature of May is due to her being an 'old style' politician, some of the older people on here might confirm that I am too young to have experienced it, but the modern way is to embrace the people make them feel as if your one of them, very powerful politics, as most people cant work out that the deficit will be making us go bankrupt in 25 years and probably don't care.
    Funny isn't and I guess you're right. It's cobblers to say that Corbyn cares any more or less than May and even if he did - so what? I don't remember getting work on the strength of 'caring'.

Leave a comment:

• motoukenin
    replied
    Perhaps what could be meant by May being 'a bl00dy difficult women' is that she doesn't suffer fools (gladly or otherwise)? Makes sense in terms of why they keep her at arm's length from the general public.
    The stand off nature of May is due to her being an 'old style' politician, some of the older people on here might confirm that I am too young to have experienced it, but the modern way is to embrace the people make them feel as if your one of them, very powerful politics, as most people cant work out that the deficit will be making us go bankrupt in 25 years and probably don't care.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    What the UK need is a leader with the emotional intelligence of Corbyn but the fiscal intelligence of May.
    Perhaps what could be meant by May being 'a bl00dy difficult women' is that she doesn't suffer fools (gladly or otherwise)? Makes sense in terms of why they keep her at arm's length from the general public.

Leave a comment:

• motoukenin
    replied
    I'm not sure Corbyn was thinking about paying market rates. Anyway how can you say that - it's their right to live in that area.
    What the UK need is a leader with the emotional intelligence of Corbyn but the fiscal intelligence of May.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I'm not sure Corbyn was thinking about paying market rates. Anyway how can you say that - it's their right to live in that area.
    It's my right to live in the area...

Oh wait

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Agreed compulsory purchase on flats in Kensington and Chelsea for 200 - 300 people would be pretty expensive and not good use of public funds.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X