• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit rebellion building in Parliament

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CretinWatcher
    replied
    Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    So the forecast disaster hasn't happened.

You seen the news recently? On Friday we went from being the 5th largest economy to the 6th largest.
    Who do you think is going to be daft enough to invest in the UK over the next few years?
    The Leave campaign slogan should have been "Poor but free".

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    Originally posted by TOSH1 View Post
    I don't think we will leave, I think there will be another referendum and remain will win.

My reason are the following -

1, The Leave victory wasn't a landslide victory. You cannot have over 16 million unhappy voters.

2, Scotland & Northern Ireland do not want to go, and we cannot force them

3, The EU 2nd petition is nearly 4 million votes and growing with some notable people signing it including Tony Blair and 500 other MPs

4, Some of the people who voted to leave are now changing thier minds because -
    There is no £350 million extra for the NHS,
    No change in immigration
    Communities that were a beneficiary of EU money have now realized the there may not be any money coming in and that the Goverment may not make the shortfall

Guarantees wanted over the future of European millions - Yorkshire Post

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...backing-brexit

Cornwall issues plea to keep EU funding after voting for Brexit | Home News | News | The Independent
    Good luck with that.

We can force them as we are currently a United Kingdom and voted as such. If they want to leave then let them. A couple of smaller nations can't stop larger nations.

We've just had a vote of 33 million people. 4m is irrelevant. And the petition is being investigated for fraud.

We've seen the lies that the Remain campaign put forward. Apparently we are in a position of strength and don't need an emergency budget. So the forecast disaster hasn't happened.

Still a lot of losers at the denial stage, inventing reasons why it hasn't / won't happen.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by TOSH1 View Post
    3, The EU 2nd petition is nearly 4 million votes and growing with some notable people signing it including Tony Blair and 500 other MPs. Apparently a Mr M Mouse & Mr D Duck did as well.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• TOSH1
    replied
    I don't think we will leave, I think there will be another referendum and remain will win.

My reason are the following -

1, The Leave victory wasn't a landslide victory. You cannot have over 16 million unhappy voters.

2, Scotland & Northern Ireland do not want to go, and we cannot force them

3, The EU 2nd petition is nearly 4 million votes and growing with some notable people signing it including Tony Blair and 500 other MPs

4, Some of the people who voted to leave are now changing thier minds because -
    There is no £350 million extra for the NHS,
    No change in immigration
    Communities that were a beneficiary of EU money have now realized the there may not be any money coming in and that the Goverment may not make the shortfall

Guarantees wanted over the future of European millions - Yorkshire Post

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...backing-brexit

Cornwall issues plea to keep EU funding after voting for Brexit | Home News | News | The Independent

Leave a comment:

• sirja
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Jeezuz

Yes of course they do - they were the same ones who were trying to persuade us to remain - because they knew what is best for us of course.

O hang on what a second - no they did not think it was best for anyone but themselves.

If you for one second think that that person gives a flying toot about you you are wrong.
    Of course they don't give a toss about me and you, but neither do many of the Tories who were fronting the leave campaign. Do you really really believe that Boris Johnson, Micheal Gove and Ian 'Bedroom tax' Duncan smith give a hoot about the little man?

The main issue for Eurosceptic Tories has been political control from Brussels. Going back to Maggie's Bruge speech that's where they main issues with the EU started. They've never had a problem with the single market, and actually support the movement of cheap labour as it' puts up the profits of their corporate backers.

The trick they've played in this referendum, is to ride the populist anti-immigration tiger to secure a leave vote. Now they've got that they can secure exit from the EU, which means exit from the political control and EU Court of Human rights, while negotiating access to the single market which is what their corporate backers care about. I concede in any final agreement there will be some wishy-washy words about the UK being 'able to apply for a temporary halt to EU migration in exceptional circumstances blah blah blah' but to all intents and purposes our membership of the single market will remain much as it is now(migration and regulations et al). That's at least what I can deduce from the words and Boris and Daniel Hannan so far.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    After Brexit especially with Scotland leaving, it will be a weakened Britain internationally.

Why the U.S. is freaked out about Brexit - CNNPolitics.com

And the economic hit the UK will take as it extricates itself from a market that accounts for 44% of its exports could leave it with fewer resources to do its share. The U.S. is itself already feeling the aftershocks -- American stocks were down more than 600 points at the closing bell Friday afternoon.
    Altogether, that could mean a smaller Britain, less able to meet its defense commitments, and it would pose problems for the future of the U.K.'s independent nuclear deterrent, which is based in Scotland and is opposed by the ruling Scottish Nationalist Party.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    One of the main reasons i voted out was because I wanted to not have to care about what a bunch of seemingly untouchable people based 1000's of miles from where I live had to say about the way the I should act.
    Serious question: which of the EU laws and regulations, not also approved by the UK parliament, do you not like, and why? How do their laws influence the way you act?

Nobody said we do not want to trade - that is just stupid and unless anyone has a genuine reason why not then lets continue under the current trade agreements - they must work for everyone or else surely the EU would not have allowed them - however if any of the countries in the EU wish to renegotiate a different trade deal with the UK then we should certainly talk to them to come to a mutually beneficial arrangement.
    That's a nice sentiment, but unfortunately it doesn't work that way in reality. All of the trade agreements will need to be rewritten. Yes, they may be exactly the same as they are now, or they may be more beneficial, or they may be worse. Trade will continue until they change, though.

Same for the movement of labour - I did not vote to stop 'foreigners coming into our country and taking our jobs' I voted to try and stem the movement of people who for whatever reason were unable to support themselves or integrate into UK society.
    Which EU foreigners are unable to integrate into UK society? Generally I've found the Polish, Germans, French, Italians, Irish, Spanish very easy going and well able to integrate. Can you narrow your statement down to a particular nationality, or is it just rhetoric? Or do you mean brown people instead?

As for "unable to support themselves", the latest statistics I can find show that only 2.4% of total DWP claimants were EU non-UK nationals. I have no idea what the reciprocity of this is and how many Brits are claiming the EU equivalent on the continent, but it seems that the notion of Johnny Foreigner coming over here and claiming benefits is a bit of a myth.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Jeezuz

Yes of course they do - they were the same ones who were trying to persuade us to remain - because they knew what is best for us of course.

O hang on what a second - no they did not think it was best for anyone but themselves.

If you for one second think that that person gives a flying toot about you you are wrong.

Leave a comment:

• sirja
    replied
    Don't think that's going to happen. And don't believe only the working class voted out just because the Guardian says so.
    Really?

Leading bosses press the Government to secure continued access to European single market

Leave a comment:

• sirja
    replied
    And if you want to believe that then do so.

We were due an emergency budget and 25% fall in the stock market. Waiting........
    The real choas in the markets only comes once the govt makes it clear that's its leaving not just the EU but the single market. That's what Gove said they would do, but of course today we see Boris singing a different tune. As long as the UK is in the single market in whatever form the markets will be fine. Of course being in the single market, means paying into the EU budget (oops no 350 Million for the 'NHS'), accepting all EU regulations (oops sorry but you still can't have those bendy bananas) and of course free movement of labor(Sorry working class people but the poles and Romanians are'nt going anywhere).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X