• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jim Mellon - Pro Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    You keep saying this without quite appreciating that:

a) The UK is major part of the EU, so very much a part of the problem if there is one;
    b) Greece can, as a sovereign nation, walk away at any time. Perhaps they consider themselves to be better off in the EU, rather than out of it?
    Indeed this is the big flaw in the Eurosceptic argument. Greeks know they made their own mess and they need to get out of it. If the EU had caused their huge problems they would have left.

Argentina and Brazil did similar things, being in the EU doesn't stop governments overspending. The IMF imposed harsh austerity measures on Argentina. When you need a bailout loan it won't come for free.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      Indeed this is the big flaw in the Eurosceptic argument. Greeks know they made their own mess and they need to get out of it. If the EU had caused their huge problems they would have left.

Argentina and Brazil did similar things, being in the EU doesn't stop governments overspending. The IMF imposed harsh austerity measures on Argentina. When you need a bailout loan it won't come for free.
      Germany and French banks have been the main beneficiaries of the bailout. Most of the money went straight to them. Their irresponsible lending had no consequences at all. The fact they could have brought the entire financial system down because of their lending to a country the size of Greece is unbelievable.

The level of austerity imposed on Greece for the last 10 years and for the decades to come is unbelievably harsh and is politically driven. There just isnt a chance in hell they can meet the EU targets for budge surplus, privatisation etc. It just isnt going to happen. So what more austerity for Greece?

How is Greece supposed to invest or modernise it's economy? Any money it can borrow will go to paying back the EU. It's own banks are unwilling to lend. What happens if there is a recession.

It needs a significant part of the debt to be written off, otherwise it will struggle for decades under huge austerity levels. The EU could help with this straightaway. But it won't.

But yeah in your mind that's fine, their own mess. Your an idiot and I'm done with you.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
        But yeah in your mind that's fine, their own mess. Your an idiot and I'm done with you.
        Will you be deleting your profile?
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

It needs a significant part of the debt to be written off, otherwise it will struggle for decades under huge austerity levels. The EU could help with this straightaway. But it won't.
          You misunderstand me.

When I say the U.K. is a major part of the EU and therefore, if there is a problem, it is part of the problem, I mean the EU and not German or French banks.

You say, “the EU could help with this straightaway”. The U.K. is part of the EU. We are on the council, have more MEPs per capita than most other countries, etc. We could do something, lobby, whatever.

Assuming the debt is with “the EU”, of course. Otherwise “the EU” is in no position to write it off.

Comment

Germany and French banks have been the main beneficiaries of the bailout.
            <snip>
            The EU is NOT Germany and France (here's a clue, there are currently 28 members of the EU, soon to be 27)

French and German banks are NOT France and Germany

That's like saying HSBC is Hong Kong, or Tipton and Coseley Building Society is the UK

You leavers really do like to mix up facts to try and create your little fantasy narrative
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Germany and French banks have been the main beneficiaries of the bailout. Most of the money went straight to them. Their irresponsible lending had no consequences at all. The fact they could have brought the entire financial system down because of their lending to a country the size of Greece is unbelievable.

The level of austerity imposed on Greece for the last 10 years and for the decades to come is unbelievably harsh and is politically driven. There just isnt a chance in hell they can meet the EU targets for budge surplus, privatisation etc. It just isnt going to happen. So what more austerity for Greece?

How is Greece supposed to invest or modernise it's economy? Any money it can borrow will go to paying back the EU. It's own banks are unwilling to lend. What happens if there is a recession.

You are aware aren't you that Greece doesn't have to pay any interest or the loans back before 2033 ?

no probably not

You are aware that the private sector gave Greece substantial debt relief ?

no of course not.

How can a loan that doesn't need to be paid back or even interest hinder a recovery.

You really are badly informed.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                No he won't he's just angry. He'll feel the need to reply to the latest post because as usual he got it wrong again.

My advice is to stop digging.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  Why would I delete my profile?

Like a normal person I will just stop discussing this issue with bb, it’s clear he can’t grasp any kind of concept that may be different from his world view.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                    The EU is NOT Germany and France (here's a clue, there are currently 28 members of the EU, soon to be 27)

French and German banks are NOT France and Germany

That's like saying HSBC is Hong Kong, or Tipton and Coseley Building Society is the UK

You leavers really do like to mix up facts to try and create your little fantasy narrative
                    Read about it.

Comment

Read about it.
                      Done that....
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X