• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

JSA and IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JSA and IR35

I'm not sure it's been asked before, but I'm sure that someone will know the answer.

When a contract comes to an end, I know of someone who then makes themselves redundant so that they can claim job seekers allowance.

Does that not indicate that for the duration of the previous contract they saw themselves as being employed by the client because as soon as the contract ends they sign on?
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Here you go [ARCHIVED CONTENT] HM Revenue & Customs: IR35: Countering Avoidance in the Provision of Personal Services - FAQ's
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

So it wouldn't be an indicator of employment, that as soon as you leave the client you are unemployed and need to claim JSA?
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        So it wouldn't be an indicator of employment, that as soon as you leave the client you are unemployed and need to claim JSA?
        I think it's two different things - on the one hand you're assessing your relationship with the end client to see if you're a disguised employee. On the other hand your actual employer, your own company, sacks you when they lose their main customer and can no longer afford your services. I don't think you can connect the two that simply, unless you were subject to IR35 in the first place.

The moral arguments around claiming JSA as a contractor have been discussed in other threads I think.
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

I can see the argument but HMRC don't seem to think it would be a factor
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

I can't believe I am actually going to engage in a conversation about this rather than just laugh at the situation but I think it's a bit more complicated than that from what I have read. There are different types of JSA and I think the qualifying criteria for the one that is being claimed is that your company has no work for you so is not paying you so you can claim a certain amount rather than a full blown redundancy and being jobless procedure.

I could be wrong and really don't give a monkies but just thought I would throw that in in case it helps.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
              The moral arguments around claiming JSA as a contractor have been discussed in other threads I think.
              It must have been in passing, I can't remember it being mentioned
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

but regardless of what I said you would think claiming benefits when your business is not generating income yet still has the ability to pay you a wage appears to fail the 'Being in business for yourself' edict.

Problem is though, as already pointed out, IR35 is about each contract, not how you view your business.

Comment

Apart from anything else it sounds like a load of hassle to me.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDandy View Post
                    Apart from anything else it sounds like a load of hassle to me.
                    This is true but if you are in a situation where 50 quid a week means something to you and you can deal with the morals/ethics of it it does (arguably) appear it is possible. Question is would you be daft enough to humiliate yourself on a forum of your peers by being proud of doing it and defending it.

Comment

Working...
                    X