• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cost relating to working while travelling?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Ah, so these kind of "minimal investigations" do exist? That's what I wasn't aware of - I thought you were either investigated after random selection or you weren't.
    My understanding is some investigations are entirely random, but the majority are triggered by figures looking "odd" when compared to similar companies.

Granted, you having a £50 or whatever upgrade in your travel costs is highly unlikely to lead to you getting your travel costs looked into...unless possibly your travel costs are way above average anyway...but then the £50 in itself would be insignificant.

However, there is a difference between it not being spotted (ie you "get away with it") and it being ok. I'm sure a fair few people have put their lounge's sofa through as fixtures and fittings, the annual family holiday as travel/accommodation etc and got away with it. Doesn't make it ok.

Obviously your situation isn't as clear cut wrong, but looking at it more from a "will I get caught" perspective is drifting away from whether it's allowable or not.

My personal view, the trip is personal, and whilst the upgrade may be largely for business reasons, this doesn't change the fact that the entire cost only came about due to personal choices, not business ones. Hence I'd say not allowable.

Comment

Ah, so these kind of "minimal investigations" do exist? That's what I wasn't aware of - I thought you were either investigated after random selection or you weren't.
      Forget for the moment that you're a tax dodging spiv operating a Ltd for tax advantage, and I think this is the correct scenario:

The company needs work doing. The employee is on the train for personal reasons and can only do the work from first class. The company pays for the 1st class ticket upgrade as a legitimate business expense. The employee declares it as a BiK and pays the tax.
      The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
        However, there is a difference between it not being spotted (ie you "get away with it") and it being ok. I'm sure a fair few people have put their lounge's sofa through as fixtures and fittings, the annual family holiday as travel/accommodation etc and got away with it. Doesn't make it ok.

Obviously your situation isn't as clear cut wrong, but looking at it more from a "will I get caught" perspective is drifting away from whether it's allowable or not.
        That is clearly just dishonest, and you're doing it on the hope you will almost certainly get away with it. The thing is my conscience would be totally clear if things played out as described and I was genuinely doing it for work... but knowing HMRC would definitely not see it this way makes it seem immoral even so.

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
        Forget for the moment that you're a tax dodging spiv operating a Ltd for tax advantage, and I think this is the correct scenario:

The company needs work doing. The employee is on the train for personal reasons and can only do the work from first class. The company pays for the 1st class ticket upgrade as a legitimate business expense. The employee declares it as a BiK and pays the tax.
        Interesting view. Do the professionals agree?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

You can add something in and then declare it as a benefit in kind, but that's no real benefit as you'll pay tax on it personally then. Your company will save 20% CT and you'll pay 20% income tax, plus have less of your basic rate band available for dividends.
          ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

That is clearly just dishonest, and you're doing it on the hope you will almost certainly get away with it. The thing is my conscience would be totally clear if things played out as described and I was genuinely doing it for work... but knowing HMRC would definitely not see it this way makes it seem immoral even so.

Interesting view. Do the professionals agree?
            Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
            You can add something in and then declare it as a benefit in kind, but that's no real benefit as you'll pay tax on it personally then. Your company will save 20% CT and you'll pay 20% income tax, plus have less of your basic rate band available for dividends.
            Sorry, Clare. That is not the required answer. Anyone else?
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

Sorry, Clare. That is not the required answer. Anyone else?
              You're not even close. Just because someone pushes back on an answer they're given doesn't mean they are looking for a specific outcome.

And I wasn't asking if doing it that way would have any benefit, I was asking if it was correct.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

You're not even close. Just because someone pushes back on an answer they're given doesn't mean they are looking for a specific outcome.

And I wasn't asking if doing it that way would have any benefit, I was asking if it was correct.
                It's absolutely fine to do it, it's just there are tax implications
                ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
                  It's absolutely fine to do it, it's just there are tax implications
                  The correct answer to pretty much any question on here that starts with "Is it ok for my company to...".

Comment

Why bother? Either scam the whole lot or not claim it.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      Why bother? Either scam the whole lot or not claim it.
                      Of course. I was merely laying out how it would work in a real business / employee situation, to clarify why there is no point in putting it through the books (if honest).

George Frederic Watts

Comment

Working...
                      X