• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need to start on Tuesday, Limited company+VAT+Bank A/C set-up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mekool View Post
    So, do I need to explicitly "opt-in" if I do not wish to "out-out". He kept asking me if I wanted to "opt-in".
    No. The default position is that you are always in, unless you opt out in writing before being introduced to the client. There isn't a concept of opting in, but don't expect an agent to understand that.

(2) I am slightly wary of the clause "The Contractor may not serve notice under this Agreement.". Will this mean I can't leave the gig a few months down the line?
    Yes

Can I negotiate on the termination clause?
    You can certainly try. Some clients insist on this, though, so you have to decide whether you want to accept the clause or walk away from the contract.

(3) Also, want to understand how much the agency makes from the daily payment coming from the client.
    Why? What the client pays the agency really is nothing to do with you - agree a rate that you are happy with, and don't worry about what you can't control.

Should I just go with the first agency and keep my word (I haven't signed anything).
    Or, should I go with the best rate.
    A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. The grass is always greener on the other side (until it turns out to be moss, of course).

Do what you want to do - asking a bunch of strangers how you should operate your business and run your life is a path that you really don't want to go down - you may as well let dice rule your life.

And to add even more confusion, another company on my doorstep where I interviewed for a perm position around 2 weeks ago, have come back to me and said they have finished interviewing all candidates have narrowed down to 2 people and I am one of them. This is a perm position, with job title of a manager and paying around £75 k per year + benefits. This was my first preference as I do not have to travel to London, but they went silent for 15 days.
    If you want to be a permie, then you should go for the permie role. If you don't, then don't. If you are looking at EUR60/hr rates, and those are the norm for what you do, then a £75k permie role looks pretty good.

If you really want that option, then you need to negotiate your notice period to get out of the contract so that if the offer ever arrives, you could jump. That said, if they are prepared to pay you £75k, you'd think that they would be prepared to wait a month or so to the end of a contract to make sure they get the person they really want.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

What do you mean
      Also, I saw another contractor (I am his replacement) leaving within 4 weeks of start - same agency.
      How did you 'see' this?

Are you on-site already??
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        What do you mean
        How did you 'see' this?

Are you on-site already??
        I went for a interview and was introduced to a few people and he was one of them and it was his last day. He was also from the same agency as me.

Comment

I went for a interview and was introduced to a few people and he was one of them and it was his last day. He was also from the same agency as me.
          Ah, right.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
          X