• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35/same company over 3 years

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Can't agree as I have already pointed out. On paper it doesn't but in reality a whole host of issues need to be managed carefully to avoid your status changing.
    fwiw I went to work for my permie employer in '05. I contracted for them since '87. So 18 years passed.

Though my circumstances weren't entirely normal. Fixed price stuff, various international business from the same group etc. Nevertheless, in the review the inspector hardly batted an eyelid (might now of course).

There is also a case involving a golf club secretary that is vaguely relevant. That one was in excess of 20 years.

But I do agree with your point. The longer you are somewhere the easier it probably is to slip into a role that is harder to defend.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
      No. The original statement was "This will take me past two years with the same agency/client.
      What are the IR35 implications of this?"

The answer, based on IR35 case precedent, is that the length of contract is irrelevant.
      Pedant
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

As we keep saying on here with any query re; IR35, it's working practices which are really key; not contract duration.
        Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by sibbers View Post
          This will take me past two years with the same agency/client.
          What are the IR35 implications of this?
          There aren't any IR35 implications per se.

However, if you were chosen for an IR35 investigation (and no one except HMRC know how people are chosen) then working for a single client for several years is going to mean you are at more risk of losing than someone who has worked at 10 different clients with 10 different contracts and 10 different lots of working conditions to argue over...

I wouldn't worry too much though. Do the due diligence and then get on with your business.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
            fwiw I went to work for my permie employer in '05. I contracted for them since '87. So 18 years passed.

Though my circumstances weren't entirely normal. Fixed price stuff, various international business from the same group etc. Nevertheless, in the review the inspector hardly batted an eyelid (might now of course).

There is also a case involving a golf club secretary that is vaguely relevant. That one was in excess of 20 years.

But I do agree with your point. The longer you are somewhere the easier it probably is to slip into a role that is harder to defend.
            Even if you manage not to slip into a permie role, HMRC may perceive it initially based on the contract duration meaning an enquiry is more likely, compared with a series of shorter contracts over the same period.

It may also be seen as a more worthy case to pursue aggressively in terms of lost revenue so you'd need a stronger defence to stop the investigation in its tracks.

But the truth is, like salary level and other factors, without collecting the stats. we don't really know.

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
            However, if you were chosen for an IR35 investigation (and no one except HMRC know how people are chosen) ...
            I'll bet that the tax investigation insurers have a good idea.
            Last edited by Contreras; 28 February 2014, 08:59.

Comment

The length of the contract isn't decisive but it is a huge pointer. There was a prominent case where a contractor was deemed to be outside IR35 for two years and inside for the time after that. Now I'm sure the contractor wouldn't have noticed any difference between the day before the cut-off and the one after; the judge simply made a decision based on the slow integration into the organisation. Many contractors are borderline, and it's a very subjective decision as to whether you're are inside or outside, therefore length of service in itself just makes arguing you're outside that much more difficult.
              Last edited by BlasterBates; 28 February 2014, 12:56.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                The length of the contract isn't decisive but it is a huge pointer. There was a prominent case where a contractor was deemed to be outside IR35 for two years and inside for the time after that. Now I'm sure the contractor wouldn't have noticed any difference between the day before the cut-off and the one after; the judge simply made a decision based on the slow integration into the organisation. Many contractors are borderline, and it's a very subjective decision as to whether you're are inside or outside, therefore length of service in itself just makes arguing you're outside that much more difficult.
                As always, you have to look at the details of the case. In the case of JLJ, he clearly transitioned from project-based work with discrete deliverables to a rolling contract with no specific projects. That was the decisive factor. Length of contract has no bearing whatsoever, only the change in D&C, which could happen after 3 months or 10 years.

Comment

Thank you all for your time and considered opinions on this.

So in essence although length of contract time is not an issue per se it may make me more vulnerable to an investigation.

For a bit more background, I went into the company 2 years ago to help with a transition and transformation piece of work around data centres (my consulting speciality). This went on hold, but while I was on hold someone else in the organisation heard of my skills and needed me to do some discreet pieces. So I have a new line manager (for want of a better title) signing my contract business case within the organisation.

Comment

Originally posted by sibbers View Post
                    Thank you all for your time and considered opinions on this.

So in essence although length of contract time is not an issue per se it may make me more vulnerable to an investigation.

For a bit more background, I went into the company 2 years ago to help with a transition and transformation piece of work around data centres (my consulting speciality). This went on hold, but while I was on hold someone else in the organisation heard of my skills and needed me to do some discreet pieces. So I have a new line manager (for want of a better title) signing my contract business case within the organisation.
                    If you were brought in for one piece of work and they moved you around to do something else without a new contract/schedule of work, that implies D&C. Ultimately, you should only be working on the schedule of work that you're contracted to implement. By way of contrast, employees may be shifted around at the whim of their line manager. So, again, length of contract has no bearing, but working practices are important and they can change at any time.

Comment

Working...
                    X