• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ltd Company Pay Employee Medical Bills

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ltd Company Pay Employee Medical Bills

Hi first post to the forums, forgive me if this isn't the correct location for such a post...

I'm a contractor trading through a ltd company.

Hurt my neck/back performing work duties. - Can I have ltd company pay for my osteopath sessions (£45 a week for around 8 weeks).

Do I need to submit a Doctor's note or a note from the Osteopath stating my injuries were almost certainly as a result of materials falling on top of me, alongside the receipts?

I've been looking at the HMRC's
    'wholly, exclusively and necessarily incurred in the performance of your duties’.
    but am confused to how this might apply to my back, which IS used outside of work...

I am able to continue to work on lighter duties, two sessions in and I'm seeing an improvement.

Well if the company provides medical insurance there is a set rate of tax, normally ripples through to your tax code, depending what kind of medical insurance you use is. This is sort of like self insurance by the company. So it is probably handled similarly, and my guess would be there is little advantage over just paying out of taxed money. But open to being corrected.

Comment

Generally, having your employee foot your medical bills is a BIK UNLESS you can show that the treatment is for an injury sustained carrying out your duties.

HM Revenue & Customs: Medical or dental treatment and insurance

The exemption applies whether YourCo pays the supplier direct or reimburses you.

However, his doesn't apply to any injury you may have sustained. It has to be an injury that can be shown to be a genuine risk associated with your profession. If you've just tripped over and hurt yourself on the trip from your desk to the toilet, that's not going to cut it. It can't be something that's an everyday risk for everybody, it has to be directly associated with your job (e.g. Footballer breaks their leg).

See: EIM21770 - Particular benefits: operational risk injuries and occupational diseases

What did you do exactly? From the sounds of it you've sustained an injury that you could have done anywhere rather than as a direct consequence of your job.

Comment

Did the stuff fall on you because it was poorly strored, or because it wax poorly handled? That may make a difference.

personally I would chaege it and accept there is a risk of it becoming a bik as a result of an inspection.

I would also imagine yourco is having a chat with client co.

Comment

As ASB indicated if it's an injury due to duties performed on a client site then you need to make sure it's reported properly.

I've worked for clients' who have had injuries and in one case a death on other sites, and while some clients try to sweep such situations under the carpet others have management who don't want to be fined or face criminal charges when something simple could have avoided the incident in the first place.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Where there's blame there's a claim
            Blood in your poo

Comment

How did you manage to hurt your back/neck performing all codings ??

Were the manuals very heavy ?
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by dwl6 View Post
                Can I have ltd company pay for my osteopath sessions (£45 a week for around 8 weeks).
                Absolutely.

Whether you can have the company pay for them without incurring a benefit in kind is a different question.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

What does your employment contract with your LTD say about medical expenses?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                    How did you manage to hurt your back/neck performing all codings ??

Were the manuals very heavy ?
                    What makes you presume he's a coder? Chassis enclosures and UPS's are rather heavy, for a start.

Comment

Working...
                    X