• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving SJD Accountants

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    I actually had that myself with a gym - ignored me entirely via email and calls. Mentioned them on twitter and got a response straight away (and also saw a few other public complaints about the same gym, so it wasn't just me!)
    Virgin Media answer every tweet. Many companies search for their name (not just their Twitter account name) and respond - British Midland used to be very good about that, for example.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
      Virgin Media answer every tweet. Many companies search for their name (not just their Twitter account name) and respond - British Midland used to be very good about that, for example.
      Virgin Media used to be good at responding to me on Twitter too. They were still tulip though. So glad I'm not with them anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Only because if I have a problem with British Gas not doing what they've been paid to do, I talk to British Gas and escalate up the management tree as necessary to get a sensible answer. Who else is going to sort things out?

IMVHO the OP should have been "Who do I talk to to sort out a problem with SJD", not a detailed list of complaints that makes both sides look like muppets and a threat to take his business elsewhere.
        I think you need to go back and read the original post. I tried to escalate the issue but was unable to. I then came on here, laid out my issue and asked for advice, which I believe is what these forums are all about.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin at NixonWilliams View Post
          That sounds like a very reassuring reference however there is a lot of truth in what nluk says - We have taken clients from high street accountants in the past that have not even heard of IR35!
          Oh well I guess no one should go with a high street accountant and instead go with Nixon Williams as they are all obviously rubbish lol.

Originally posted by wantacontract View Post
          on the flip side, I have a local accountant...worked together for 10 years and he's great.....organized, effective, good value for money....

speak to him whenever I need to directly....and get correct advice....
          Sounds good. I'm sure there are good and bad accountants out there in both the high street and larger accountancy firms.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
            Send a company an email or ring them, you get nowhere. Slag them off in public and they respond pretty quickly.
            Or put your case across and request advice as I did

Comment

Originally posted by JtotheD View Post
              Oh well I guess no one should go with a high street accountant and instead go with Nixon Williams as they are all obviously rubbish lol.
              High street accountants are for people who need help with their personal tax, or small businesses. One-man PSCs are neither of those things.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by JtotheD View Post
                I'm a contractor using SJD and I'm not happy at all with the service.

SJD put on their website that if we don't respond to you same day (provided email is before blah blah) we will refund you that months installment, great, but the response you get is an auto reply saying thank you for your email I will respond to you in full shortly, which usually is over a week with me chasing! I called to complain and they just kept putting me through to my accountant...

Also when I rarely get to speak to my Accountant, I have to remind her who I am, she then proceeds to give me generic information which I then have to remind her isn’t applicable to me. There is absolutely nothing personal about the service, and I have no confidence in my accountant at all.

I'm now looking to leave, as SJD have not done my end of year accounts am I able to get money back? They have sent me a couple of emails and done my VAT nothing else (I set the company up myself). I'd be interested if anyone else has had similar issues, or can advise me?

As a side I do accept that this may be the particular accountant not necessarily a reflection of SJD as a whole but this is my experience and that is all I can go off.
                You would have to ask SJD what their standard practice is, we only bill based on services received, so if you have paid more than that you would be entitled to a refund.

Comment

Their own website just gave me the best reason to leave them

I've had a nightmare of a time with them for years. But it got really bad recently. I looked to go through their complaints procedure and I just got no response. Then I thought it's time to take it further. But I realised I had nowhere to go when I read this:

"We currently are not supervised by a regulatory body or an accountancy institute so we will work directly with you to resolve the elements of your dissatisfaction at every stage in this process."

I've got a house move to get out the way first, but once I've sorted that, I'm finding accountants that are more professional! The amount of work their poor service causes me completely negates the desired efficiency of outsourcing this business function.
                  Last edited by Contractor UK; 25 August 2021, 17:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Coolerbob View Post
                    I've had a nightmare of a time with them for years. But it got really bad recently. I looked to go through their complaints procedure and I just got no response. Then I thought it's time to take it further. But I realised I had nowhere to go when I read this:

"We currently are not supervised by a regulatory body or an accountancy institute so we will work directly with you to resolve the elements of your dissatisfaction at every stage in this process."

I've got a house move to get out the way first, but once I've sorted that, I'm finding accountants that are more professional! The amount of work their poor service causes me completely negates the desired efficiency of outsourcing this business function.
                    Hi Coolerbob, Simon C here at SJD Accountancy. Sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems. Please PM me and I will take a look at your issues and get matters fixed for you. Best Regards, Simon
                    Last edited by Contractor UK; 25 August 2021, 17:26.

Comment

Coolerbob upgraded to allow PM usage.

Comment

Working...
                      X