• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The 24 Month Rule in a nutshell

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    But is there a reasonable expectation they will renew you again? Splitting the dates just to meet it may fail some undergo inspection in the future. You have 6 month renewals and then all of a sudden you have a 5 month and then 1 mother just at the 24 months limits may raise some eyebrows. Not hard to defend would think but just something to be aware of.
    Yep see your point. I have had a mixture of 3 and 6 month renewals depending on budgets with this client, this time round they offered 6 but I took 3, keeps me inside the 24 month rule by 1 day, to be honest I have no idea if they will, they are trying to move away from contractor dependency and get more perms in so I took a risk not taking the full 6 months since they may not be as desperate then :-). In either case I am getting a bit bored as have been here over 2 yrs now (2 diff locations before you ask!) so even if they offer another extension (which will be extension number 6!) if I have got myself sorted somewhere else I will go.

Comment

Here's a scenario I am unsure of.

At the end of my current contract I will be caught by the 24 month rule. Am not planning on renewing and will be taking a few weeks off over the summer. When the time comes to source a new gig I will be once again most likely looking in London.

Now I know that I will still be caught if I take a new role in London and won't be able to offset travel which is fine. Question is can I still claim the travel for interviews?

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post

At the end of my current contract I will be caught by the 24 month rule. Am not planning on renewing and will be taking a few weeks off over the summer. When the time comes to source a new gig I will be once again most likely looking in London.

Now I know that I will still be caught if I take a new role in London and won't be able to offset travel which is fine. Question is can I still claim the travel for interviews?
        For the benefit of NLUK I will be asking my accountant, just putting this out there to see if anyone has come across something similar

Comment

For the benefit of NLUK I will be asking my accountant, just putting this out there to see if anyone has come across something similar
          Don't see why not. You are not travelling to a workplace, you are taking a business trip as part of your cost of sales.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Don't see why not. You are not travelling to a workplace, you are taking a business trip as part of your cost of sales.
            Cheers Malv that makes sense.

Comment

I would say yes. Interviewing with a prospective client is part of the normal operation of your business, and nothing to do with the travel expenses of a lengthy engagement.

Comment

Final query I promise! So I am leaving my role in London bang on the 24 month limit (30th June) starting a new role the next day at the other end of the country so travel can be expensed once more, question is I still need to come to London (different location) once a week, my understanding is that I can't expense this given that I have been commuting to London 80% of the time over the last 2 yrs, am I right?

Comment

Final query I promise! So I am leaving my role in London bang on the 24 month limit (30th June) starting a new role the next day at the other end of the country so travel can be expensed once more, question is I still need to come to London (different location) once a week, my understanding is that I can't expense this given that I have been commuting to London 80% of the time over the last 2 yrs, am I right?
                  Hmmm, interesting point...

Don't forget it's all about permanent workplaces. My take is that the new gig puts your potential permanent workplace away from London so any subsequent one day trips to London (or anywhere else) from there represent a temporary workplace visit so would be claimable.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Previously under umbrella now ltd

Hi - can someone help clarify for me if I can claim travel expenses for my current contract?

Worked so far for same client in pretty much same location nearly 4 years but previously used services of White Collar and therefore employed by them.

Started using Ltd company structure since September 2014 so can I claim the travel expenses post September and not fall foul of the 24 month rule?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tani View Post
                      Hi - can someone help clarify for me if I can claim travel expenses for my current contract?

Worked so far for same client in pretty much same location nearly 4 years but previously used services of White Collar and therefore employed by them.

Started using Ltd company structure since September 2014 so can I claim the travel expenses post September and not fall foul of the 24 month rule?

Thanks
                      No.

Comment

Working...
                      X