• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The 24 Month Rule in a nutshell

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    It was JLJ that I was thinking of, not Dragonfly - outside for the first three years, inside for the rest of the contract.

Time itself isn't important - it's the implication that over time people will see you as an employee rather than a contractor.
    So, in practice it is not a hard and fast 24 month rule (like travel expenses). Instead, duration in contract is one of many factors that decide IR35 status.

Comment

Originally posted by Jase View Post
      So, in practice it is not a hard and fast 24 month rule (like travel expenses). Instead, duration in contract is one of many factors that decide IR35 status.
      No - behaviour decides IR35. But the client may see you as an employee the longer you are there.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Ermm...?

The 24 month rule is hard and fast, just improperly understood by most of us about when it applies.

However there is early case law that says that duration is not a factor in IR35 assessments; one where the guy had been on-site for seven years and, to a lesser extent, inherent in the original Readymix case that set the basis for employment. Very simplistically, if your contract says you are there to deliver "this" as opposed to "what we tell you to deliver from time to time" and we won't pay you if "this" isn't needed, you're clear.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Ermm...?

The 24 month rule is hard and fast, just improperly understood by most of us about when it applies.

However there is early case law that says that duration is not a factor in IR35 assessments; one where the guy had been on-site for seven years and, to a lesser extent, inherent in the original Readymix case that set the basis for employment. Very simplistically, if your contract says you are there to deliver "this" as opposed to "what we tell you to deliver from time to time" and we won't pay you if "this" isn't needed, you're clear.
          I may not have been clear... I get the the 24 month rule is hard and fast in relation to travel expenses. There is not a 24 month rule in relation to IR35.

Comment

I may not have been clear... I get the the 24 month rule is hard and fast in relation to travel expenses. There is not a 24 month rule in relation to IR35.
            No - there is no specific period after which you could be considered an employee within IR35 - the point people are making is that it is likely that, the longer you work somewhere, the more you will become integrated into the workforce therefore becoming a disguised employee and therefore more likely to be inside IR35
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

The 2 year temporary workplace rule is completely separate to IR35. They are two totally unrelated pieces of legislation.Travel can still be claimed from your ltd company even though you operate inside the IR35 Legislation.

Graeme Bennett
              ACMA MBA

Comment

Re-instating travel expenses for client visits?

Wondering if I can re-instate travel expenses for trips to clients. Ltd co is diversified. Hoping this means I can claim again.

I'm beyond the 2 year rule, so have not been claiming expenses for daily visits to client A (trains and taxis). LTD CO is diversified, and covers a few areas now:

Office in London, client in Cambs.
                * Client A (me) 60% of turnover
                * Client B (my employee, who mainly works from home) 30% of turnover
                * Some IP licencing 5%
                * Property management 5%
                * all my business meetings with other clients are in London (or abroad).

Cheers, Rich

Comment

Originally posted by richy View Post
                  Wondering if I can re-instate travel expenses for trips to clients. Ltd co is diversified. Hoping this means I can claim again.

I'm beyond the 2 year rule, so have not been claiming expenses for daily visits to client A (trains and taxis). LTD CO is diversified, and covers a few areas now:

* Some IP licencing 5%
                  * Property management 5%

Cheers, Rich
                  Well Client B has no impact at all on your personal taxation, since they aren't your expenses. Also it's not about turnover, it's about on site presence (to be more precise, approximate location presence) so if your property visits are fairly close to your client ones for example, they don't count either

Just a wild thought, but apply the algorithm in OP1 and see if it fits...

But if your question is actually "Can I restart claiming expenses", the answer is yes, provided you pass the 40% off site qualification.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by richy View Post

* Some IP licencing 5%
                    * Property management 5%

Cheers, Rich
                    So do you spend more than 40% of your time going to the same location that you've been going to for over 2 years? If yes, then no you can't claim.
                    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                      So do you spend more than 40% of your time going to the same location that you've been going to for over 2 years? If yes, then no you can't claim.
                      Many thanks to both of you for replying.

I still spend over 40% of my time going to the same location that I've been going to for 2 years. So as you say, I can't claim the £7,400 as expenses, (which would have saved around £1500 in taxation..)

I'd need to get down to 2 day on site (3 day working from my office). Only 2 days on client site that would save £4,440 travel expenses.. therefore only £2960 on travel, of which £592 would be saved in taxation.

.. so best option is to work on my site, rather than client!
                      Last edited by richy; 19 March 2015, 11:24.

Comment

Working...
                      X