• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The 24 Month Rule in a nutshell

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    Once the 24 months are up OR at the point you know that the contract will extend beyond 24 months you have to stop claiming expenses for travel, subsistence and accommodation but there's nothing to stop you carrying on with the contract
    And you can still claim expenses, you just have to start paying the tax on them as earned income. There's no impact on YourCo.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

great summary. thanks

Comment

Changing Expectations

My contract was renewed in June for 12 months, which would take me over the 2 years so I stopped claiming expenses. It wasn't a major problem as it's local to me. They have now given me 4 weeks notice due to lack of work, which will take me to 23 months. Can I now backtrack and claim the mileage and parking for the 5 months?

Thinking back on the expectation rule, a previous 3 month contract showed all the signs of lasting for years, 5 year project plan etc. but was then not renewed due to a senior management edict to get rid of contractors. I guess by the letter of the law I should have stopped claiming?

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
          My contract was renewed in June for 12 months, which would take me over the 2 years so I stopped claiming expenses. It wasn't a major problem as it's local to me. They have now given me 4 weeks notice due to lack of work, which will take me to 23 months. Can I now backtrack and claim the mileage and parking for the 5 months?
          Yes. The cut off is 24 months, and you haven't exceeded it, so you can claim retrospectively.

Thinking back on the expectation rule, a previous 3 month contract showed all the signs of lasting for years, 5 year project plan etc. but was then not renewed due to a senior management edict to get rid of contractors. I guess by the letter of the law I should have stopped claiming?
          Theoretically yes, but not if you hadn't signed up to something that went over, or was expected to go over 24 months duration.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            And you can still claim expenses, you just have to start paying the tax on them as earned income. There's no impact on YourCo.
            Would there be any benefit to claiming expenses in such a scenario, over paying them out of your own pocket?
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Two Year Rule & related issues

Q: Is Travel and the two year rule a completely different issue to IR35?

A: Yes, it is completely different Legislation. Travel can still be claimed from your ltd company even though you operate inside the IR35 Legislation.

Q: Does this Rule also cover subsistence?

A: No. It is specifically for travel to a main work location. The whole basis of this legislation is to give workers some relief when working at a temporary workplace. Beyond 24 months, this workplace is no longer temporary but classed as permanent, unless less than 40% of the time is spent on that specific workplace.

Q: How long can a worker claim tax allowable travel expenses?

A: A company worker can only claim tax allowable travel expenses for a maximum of 2 years when working on the same site when 40% or more of the time worked is spent on this same client site (nb not the same client). HMRC EIM32080 : “The test is whether the employee has spent, or is likely to spend, 40% or more of his or her working time at that particular workplace over a period that lasts, or is likely to last, more than 24 months. Where that is the case the workplace is not a temporary workplace and so it is a permanent workplace. Travel between that place and home will be ordinary commuting and so is not deductible.”

Q: What if I stay in a hotel?

A: Home to the site is different from hotel to the site if a time of greater than 40% is involved after 24 months. So after 2 years in my opinion you would still be able to claim the cost of the journey to and from your hotel to the client site and to and from home to the hotel.
              This rule is modified where the employee works at a succession of workplaces but the change of workplace has no substantial effect on the employee's journey to work. All such workplaces are treated as the same workplace for the purpose of the legislation, see EIM32280 and example EIM32089. The guidance also confirms that, for the purposes of proving that a contractor’s workplace is their permanent workplace, HMRC can “ignore a change of workplace if that change does not have any substantial effect on the employee's journey to work.

Q: What about travel between different clients sites?

A: Travel between different client sites is always allowable.

40% is after the 2 years has elapsed. HMRC’s guidelines above state that “The test is whether the employee has spent, or is likely to spend, 40% or more of his or her working time at that particular workplace over a period that lasts, or is likely to last, more than 24 months”. For the purposes of this legislation you are classed as an “employee” (even though you may not technically be an employee if you are owner/director/worker of your own ltd company). With regards to records, I would advise you to keep comprehensive records of where you are based after the 24 month period has ended as the onus will be on you to convince an HMRC Inspector that you have spent less than 40% of your work time at a given client site.

Q: Can I claim tax allowable travel for up to 2 years even though the contract my company has entered into with its client lasts for two and a half years?

A: No. As soon as the contract/series of contracts exceeds 2 years then no tax allowable travel expenses are claimable unless less than 40% of your working time is spent there over a given period.

Q: What does “workplace rule” mean?

A: Remember this is a workplace rule (not working for the same client rule). HMRC would consider it to be the same workplace if it were in the same neighbourhood eg you couldn’t just move to a different building a few hundred meters away and claim it to be a different workplace. As soon as the contract exceeds 2 years and you are still working at the same place, it is no longer classed as a temporary workplace unless less than 40% of your working time is spent there over a given period. Similarly, if you change client but remain in the same building, then the 24 month rule is not reset.

Q: What if I want more information from HMRC?

A: This can be found online at EIM32080 - Travel expenses: travel for necessary attendance: definitions: temporary workplace: limited duration, the 24 month rule HMRC has an example of an IT contractor working in London’s financial district. This is discussed in an HMRC manual, which is designed to provide guidance to its own inspectors on how to apply the travel expenses rules legislation – Section 339(7) of the Income Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003.

Q: What about other related issues?

A:
              1. Business miles using own car- in each tax year (6 April to 5 April) each person can claim 45p per mile as the maximum allowable for first 10,000 miles (25p per mile thereafter). 2p per mile can also be reclaimed for VAT if you/your company is not on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme.
              2. Mileage log for each journey should always be maintained in case HMRC ask for detail of journeys.
              3. When working away from home on business a worker can claim £5 tax/NI free per night from the company for incidental expenses (no receipts needed) in addition to subsistence costs (£10 if working outside the UK).
              4. Note that the above doesn’t cover rent costs/hotel costs where accommodation is rented near the project of work because your home is too far away to commute. Accommodation and receipted evening meals can continue to be claimed via your company as a tax allowable expense.

Comment

Originally posted by Forbes Young View Post
                Q: What if I stay in a hotel?

A: Home to the site is different from hotel to the site if a time of greater than 40% is involved after 24 months. So after 2 years in my opinion you would still be able to claim the cost of the journey to and from your hotel to the client site and to and from home to the hotel.
                This rule is modified where the employee works at a succession of workplaces but the change of workplace has no substantial effect on the employee's journey to work. All such workplaces are treated as the same workplace for the purpose of the legislation, see EIM32280 and example EIM32089. The guidance also confirms that, for the purposes of proving that a contractor’s workplace is their permanent workplace, HMRC can “ignore a change of workplace if that change does not have any substantial effect on the employee's journey to work.
                Are you suggesting that no matter how long the engagement, you could claim home to hotel anyway, and hotel to client site for up to the point where you know that it will be more than two years?
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Are you suggesting that no matter how long the engagement, you could claim home to hotel anyway, and hotel to client site for up to the point where you know that it will be more than two years?
                  That wouldn't be right surely - if accommodation is not allowable after 2 years then the associated travel wouldn't be either - subsistence is also affected by the 24 month rule for the same reason
                  Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                    That wouldn't be right surely - if accommodation is not allowable after 2 years then the associated travel wouldn't be either - subsistence is also affected by the 24 month rule for the same reason
                    Precisely. The only continuing allowable expense is from your new permanent place of work to some other client location on business, and even then, strictly speaking, you should deduct the normal daily journey distance.

All in all, I prefer my original version
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                      Precisely. The only continuing allowable expense is from your new permanent place of work to some other client location on business, and even then, strictly speaking, you should deduct the normal daily journey distance.

All in all, I prefer my original version
                      Much better yes
                      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                      X