• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Train Ticket Receipts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Train Ticket Receipts

Been lurking for a bit, but thought I'd register and come out of the woodwork.

Having disposed of the car, the train will be my ride for my next gig.

Reading all the guides (including HMRC's) the advice is "keep a receipt". Generally, receipts from ticket offices have "goods" as the description on the credit card receipt and from ticket machines "001 Ticket £ price". Are these vague descriptions adequate for expense purposes?

As anyone who takes the train regularly knows retaining the original ticket(s) is not always straightforward e.g. renewing a season ticket you are meant to surrender the previous one, gatelines often swallow dailies and the staff are reluctant to let you keep them etc.

Then take a photo of your ticket during the train journey and log it into your expense app.

Xpense Tracker works for me.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

For smaller items I'd not worry too much as long as you have some kind of proof, like the credit card statements.

Great idea from Cojak. I've heard good things about Receipt Bank too, which I assume is a similar thing.
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Ticket office will issue a receipt on purchase of ticket, it usually looks like a ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonimouse View Post
          Ticket office will issue a receipt on purchase of ticket, it usually looks like a ticket.
          This.

When you buy a train ticket ask for a receipt, they're not automatically handed out, you do need to ask. You'll get both a "Debit/Credit Card Sales Voucher" that's simply your card receipt and another marked "Not valid for travel" that's your official receipt and contains your travel information, cost etc. You use the latter for your expenses.

If you buy from a kiosk thingy, make sure you hit the "receipt" button.

Edit: the important difference is that the official receipt doesn't contain how you paid, that's not anyone's business if you're paying for it personally. For example, if you paid the entire thing in delay-repay vouchers then that's not shown, it just shows the full cash value of the ticket for you to reclaim.
          Last edited by craig1; 9 December 2013, 12:10.

Comment

Ask for a separate receipt when purchasing otherwise failing that, photo/scan of ticket + bank/credit card statement should be more that sufficient. You don't need to keep original copies of receipts, scans are acceptable.

Comment

Wow, what a helpful bunch you are thanks for the advice.

On the topic of Rail Travel Vouchers for delayed journeys, it seems this lot Passenger's Charter | South West Trains only do it for dailies & weekly season tickets. Monthly or longer have their own Byzantine compensation system based around renewing your (photographed for expenses) piece of card.

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
                For smaller items I'd not worry too much as long as you have some kind of proof, like the credit card statements.
                Yep, I'd just pay for the ticket on my company card and then the bank statement is the proof of purchase. Photographing the ticket is a good idea too.
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Inasfar as receipts go, a receipt is ALWAYS offered, either by the machine or the operator.

The reason why you need the piece of paper which is marked either Receipt or Invoice, is that it is the proof of purchase and contains the VAT number of the vendor.

A photo of, or the tickets itself, is not sufficient proof of purchase, since it is just the authority to travel.
                  I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Just to offer an alternative way to track receipts, I use CamScanner on my phone to take a pic of the receipt (it converts it to pdf and uploads to dropbox/evernote etc. automatically).

Works great and free.
                    Join IPSE

Comment

Working...
                    X