• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Train Ticket Receipts"

Collapse

• Boo
    replied
    Originally posted by AgentJohnson View Post
    Having disposed of the car, the train will be my ride for my next gig.

Reading all the guides (including HMRC's) the advice is "keep a receipt". Generally, receipts from ticket offices have "goods" as the description on the credit card receipt and from ticket machines "001 Ticket £ price". Are these vague descriptions adequate for expense purposes?
    Just put "train fare" ?

As anyone who takes the train regularly knows retaining the original ticket(s) is not always straightforward e.g. renewing a season ticket you are meant to surrender the previous one, gatelines often swallow dailies and the staff are reluctant to let you keep them etc.
    If you buy from one of the machines then you can request a receipt which is a distinct piece of paper separate from the ticket . Presumably the offices will do the same ?

Boo

Leave a comment:

• AgentJohnson
    replied
    The receipt vs. credit/debit card receipt are very similar.

If I was HMRC doing an inquiry, I would want to see either, plus the ticket to travel to ensure it was wholly and exclusively relevant due to the tulip nature of the above items. But what do I know. Probably nothing.

Leave a comment:

• AgentJohnson
    replied
    FWIW the 2 differing pieces of card

DEBIT/CREDIT CARD SALES VOUCHER (#STATION INFO ETC#)
    Qty Description Number Total
    001 TICKET #random# £0.00 (Mastercard - C/Visa V) etc.
    Date Issuing office Tkt No. #ACTUAL TKT NUMBER#
    00.MMM.YY Your Mum Stn Station Code etc.
    Customer card number CARD TYPE
    **** **** **** 0000 00 CARDHOLDER'S COPY
    A0000000000000
    CARD TYPE
    Authorised Sale confirmed
    #auth number#
    Debit my card account with the total amount
    Please retain for you records
    Printed HH:MM on DD.MMM.YY

VS.

NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL
    Description Amount
    TICKET £0.00 M/W/X (M = cash/W = warrant e.g. vouchers in whole payment/X = card whole or part payment)
    Date Time Number
    DD.MMM.YY HH.MM #Actual ticket number# #Issuing office number#
    Issuing Office
    Your Mum Stn
    VAT Reg. No.

RECEIPT

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    I bow to your superior knowledge

You do need to keep proper receipts in terms of the calculation of your Corporation Tax. A credit card statement / bank statement is not sufficient.

You need to keep proper records in terms of the calculation of your Corporation Tax.

Ordinarily that would include keeping receipts but on occasion it may not.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Originally posted by Contreras View Post
    VAT numbered receipts are not required if your co. is on the FRS VAT scheme.

As you say, a receipt should always be offered so it's difficult to see the problem. It's not specifically receipts that are required though, just evidence that the expense was incurred.

Credit card vouchers and/or bank statement showing the transaction would suffice, but really it should be habit to ask for and keep receipts as well as using a company card for business expenses.
    I bow to your superior knowledge

You do need to keep proper receipts in terms of the calculation of your Corporation Tax. A credit card statement / bank statement is not sufficient.
    Last edited by Scruff; 10 December 2013, 19:03.

Leave a comment:

• aoxomoxoa
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Maybe he can add NLUK to his Ignore List
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by kingcook View Post
    You haven't met northernladuk yet
    Maybe he can use the "Search" facility to find him?!

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Wow, what a helpful bunch you are thanks for the advice.
    You haven't met northernladuk yet

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Seeing as there isn't usually any VAT to recover on rail tickets anyway, would you need a VAT receipt even on the normal VAT scheme?

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    Inasfar as receipts go, a receipt is ALWAYS offered, either by the machine or the operator.

The reason why you need the piece of paper which is marked either Receipt or Invoice, is that it is the proof of purchase and contains the VAT number of the vendor.

A photo of, or the tickets itself, is not sufficient proof of purchase, since it is just the authority to travel.
    VAT numbered receipts are not required if your co. is on the FRS VAT scheme.

As you say, a receipt should always be offered so it's difficult to see the problem. It's not specifically receipts that are required though, just evidence that the expense was incurred.

Credit card vouchers and/or bank statement showing the transaction would suffice, but really it should be habit to ask for and keep receipts as well as using a company card for business expenses.

Leave a comment:

• Alias
    replied
    Just to offer an alternative way to track receipts, I use CamScanner on my phone to take a pic of the receipt (it converts it to pdf and uploads to dropbox/evernote etc. automatically).

Works great and free.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Inasfar as receipts go, a receipt is ALWAYS offered, either by the machine or the operator.

The reason why you need the piece of paper which is marked either Receipt or Invoice, is that it is the proof of purchase and contains the VAT number of the vendor.

A photo of, or the tickets itself, is not sufficient proof of purchase, since it is just the authority to travel.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    For smaller items I'd not worry too much as long as you have some kind of proof, like the credit card statements.
    Yep, I'd just pay for the ticket on my company card and then the bank statement is the proof of purchase. Photographing the ticket is a good idea too.

Leave a comment:

• AgentJohnson
    replied
    Wow, what a helpful bunch you are thanks for the advice.

On the topic of Rail Travel Vouchers for delayed journeys, it seems this lot Passenger's Charter | South West Trains only do it for dailies & weekly season tickets. Monthly or longer have their own Byzantine compensation system based around renewing your (photographed for expenses) piece of card.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Ask for a separate receipt when purchasing otherwise failing that, photo/scan of ticket + bank/credit card statement should be more that sufficient. You don't need to keep original copies of receipts, scans are acceptable.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X