• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Multipler income streams under Flat Rate VAT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multipler income streams under Flat Rate VAT

Hypothetical question.

MyCo. is registered for flat rate VAT for my contracting business.

If I get a plan B off the ground that qualifies for a different rate on the FRS can I run it through MyCo and pay VAT as appropriate or do I need a new LTD registred for the FRS in it's own right at the new rate?
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Don't think it really answers your problem but you mean along the lines of this?

FRS Vat scheme and other income | AccountingWEB

EDIT

This looks more useful..

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...345#P184_16744

4.6 What if my business fits into more than one sector?
    If your business includes supplies in two or more sectors, you must apply the percentage appropriate to your main business activity as measured by turnover. Choose the sector for which your business gets the greater part of its turnover. Do not split your turnover, or apply more than one percentage.

Example:

If a taxi business does some car repairs, it will have to decide which of the two activities will generate the larger amount of turnover and apply the appropriate flat rate percentage to the whole of its VAT inclusive turnover.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 27 September 2013, 15:33.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      Hypothetical question.

MyCo. is registered for flat rate VAT for my contracting business.

If I get a plan B off the ground that qualifies for a different rate on the FRS can I run it through MyCo and pay VAT as appropriate or do I need a new LTD registred for the FRS in it's own right at the new rate?
      Or you come off FRS.

HTH...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

You can't use two different flat rates under one VAT registration, so you'd need to register a separate business if you wanted to do that. Otherwise you use the one that makes up the most significant part of your income.
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
          You can't use two different flat rates under one VAT registration, so you'd need to register a separate business if you wanted to do that. Otherwise you use the one that makes up the most significant part of your income.
          <Yawn><Casually looks at watch> Took your time!

Comment

Thanks all, prompt and helpful as always
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              Thanks all, prompt and helpful as always
              Apart from Clare who is probably either still in the pub or is fast asleep at her desk.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Apart from Clare who is probably either still in the pub or is fast asleep at her desk.
                Darn it, rumbled! I was having a snooze
                ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Working...
                X