• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie Contractor in trouble...?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Either way submit the paper timesheet and your invoice send them by recorded delivery to the agency - then use the search functionality and read up on "Dunning".
    This.^

If they haven't paid within 30 days, release the hounds

(or a Money Claim Online - whichever is easier)

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
      Ahh, many of the people here are bed wetters who would say just suck it up but I say don't let them get away with it. You are perfectly within your rights to pursue them for what they owe you.
      One of the irnies of the business tests is that you can show that you are in business by having bad debt.

Every cloud has a silver lining etc.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        One of the irnies of the business tests is that you can show that you are in business by having bad debt.

Every cloud has a silver lining etc.
        Yes, true but the amount written off must be 10% of the turnover and I'm not going to let that much money slide just for the sake of an IR35 defence. I'd rather recover the money (via legal action if necessary) and then put it aside into an IR35 fighting fund....

Ahh, sorry to rant on about it but I'm just tired of the bed wetters here who seem to think that contractors should just bend over and get shafted at every opportunity.
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
          Ahh, sorry to rant on about it but I'm just tired of the bed wetters here who seem to think that contractors should just bend over and get shafted at every opportunity.
          But first perhaps:

- learn the difference between "get shafted" and "fail to ensure payment",

- understand when it's going to cost more to get money back than the money itself and

- be certain the money is actually owed in the first place, as in "no more work" does not mean "four week's notice"

We all know client rules are stupid and client managers even more stupid, but it's how you get paid. Live with it.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            But first perhaps:

- understand when it's going to cost more to get money back than the money itself and

- be certain the money is actually owed in the first place, as in "no more work" does not mean "four week's notice"

We all know client rules are stupid and client managers even more stupid, but it's how you get paid. Live with it.
            Which part of
            I have the proof of the hours I have worked
            did you not understand?

Comment

Nope, I still don't understand how a small business would simply write off a £1900 debt due to a minor administrative problem but we will have to disagree on that.

- understand when it's going to cost more to get money back than the money itself
              Likewise, I cannot understand how committing a small amount of time towards resolving a minor billing problem would not be preferable to writing off £1900.

Maybe I'm missing something but my reading of the situation is that there is no dispute that the hours were indeed worked.

Accurate billing and credit control are the lifeblood of any small business. "Manager too stupid" is not a valid reason to write off an unpaid invoice but I bow to your superior business acumen.

But you are just winding me up with all these idiotic statements in order to goad me into making a personal attack aren't you? Is the original poster genuine or actually a sockpuppet of yours? Ha, good one anyway. I presumed good faith but I took the bait, you win. Well played.

Are you sure you want to add malvolio to your ignore list?

PLONK
              Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Newbie Contractor in trouble...?

Please note I have no affiliation with malvolio or sockpuppets and this is a genuine situation I find myself in!

Comment

Originally posted by Neomash View Post
                  Please note I have no affiliation with malvolio or sockpuppets and this is a genuine situation I find myself in!
                  Ditto. I have never used a sockie nor ever intend to (nor even see the point, other than for proving what a sad life you lead), and I am talking about the general case of chasing every presumed minor debt through the courts, not this specific one. Sorry if that's a bit difficult to understand.

And the fact remains, the OP doesn't actually have the proof the time was worked in the form demanded by the contract. It seems pretty clear the money is genuinely owed, but it's not the client that got the admin wrong. Let's proceed from that point.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Raise? Wage? Jesus, what are you? A permie?

I would assume from your terminology you haven't looked in to IR35?
                    Wages is a generic term.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      Wages is a generic term.
                      Indeed but linked with the other word you can see a mind set.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X