• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Newbie Contractor in trouble...?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    No he didn't. He said two days at $1900 but later clarified...
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    It's not, see above. Not that either aspect matters.

Good luck OP.
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    I think he clarified that this was for working long and/or antisocial hours at a premium rate on a weekend rather than his normal day rate.
    Missed that part, thanks!

Leave a comment:

• rurffy
    replied
    ok ok ok im tired of reading this thread - OP please forget your last invoice and Move on with life. gosh!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    True. Maybe the mods can change the tag under his name to say "Permie Speak Detector".
    That is a bit specific isn't it... Maybe a catch all tag like 'Miserable b'tard' would be more apt?

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    No we don't, we have NLUK!
    True. Maybe the mods can change the tag under his name to say "Permie Speak Detector".

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Ahh, they aren't all as well trained as you.

We need a permie speak detector for noobies.
    No we don't, we have NLUK!

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Not that it's our business but did you really say it's a £950/day contract and that you are new to contracting? What do you do?
    I think he clarified that this was for working long and/or antisocial hours at a premium rate on a weekend rather than his normal day rate.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Indeed but linked with the other word you can see a mind set.
    Ahh, they aren't all as well trained as you.

We need a permie speak detector for noobies.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Not that it's our business but did you really say it's a £950/day contract and that you are new to contracting? What do you do?
    It's not, see above. Not that either aspect matters.

Good luck OP.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    No he didn't. He said two days at $1900 but later clarified...

The amount invoiced was relatively large because I worked for the majority of a weekend at additional rates. It is not my standard day rate by any stretch of the imagination (unfortunately) and it is money I can ill afford to lose.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Wages is a generic term.
    Indeed but linked with the other word you can see a mind set.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Raise? Wage? Jesus, what are you? A permie?

I would assume from your terminology you haven't looked in to IR35?
    Wages is a generic term.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Neomash View Post
    Please note I have no affiliation with malvolio or sockpuppets and this is a genuine situation I find myself in!
    Ditto. I have never used a sockie nor ever intend to (nor even see the point, other than for proving what a sad life you lead), and I am talking about the general case of chasing every presumed minor debt through the courts, not this specific one. Sorry if that's a bit difficult to understand.

And the fact remains, the OP doesn't actually have the proof the time was worked in the form demanded by the contract. It seems pretty clear the money is genuinely owed, but it's not the client that got the admin wrong. Let's proceed from that point.

Leave a comment:

• Neomash
    replied
    Newbie Contractor in trouble...?

Please note I have no affiliation with malvolio or sockpuppets and this is a genuine situation I find myself in!

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    - learn the difference between "get shafted" and "fail to ensure payment",
    Nope, I still don't understand how a small business would simply write off a £1900 debt due to a minor administrative problem but we will have to disagree on that.

- understand when it's going to cost more to get money back than the money itself
    Likewise, I cannot understand how committing a small amount of time towards resolving a minor billing problem would not be preferable to writing off £1900.

- be certain the money is actually owed in the first place, as in "no more work" does not mean "four week's notice"
    Maybe I'm missing something but my reading of the situation is that there is no dispute that the hours were indeed worked.

We all know client rules are stupid and client managers even more stupid, but it's how you get paid. Live with it.
    Accurate billing and credit control are the lifeblood of any small business. "Manager too stupid" is not a valid reason to write off an unpaid invoice but I bow to your superior business acumen.

But you are just winding me up with all these idiotic statements in order to goad me into making a personal attack aren't you? Is the original poster genuine or actually a sockpuppet of yours? Ha, good one anyway. I presumed good faith but I took the bait, you win. Well played.

Are you sure you want to add malvolio to your ignore list?

PLONK

Leave a comment:

Working...
X