• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I claim my mobile phone ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    OK I read that and did not see it the same way as you particularly the bit which said "The contract is between you and the mobile phone operator." where "you" refers to the employer.
    Do you know how daft you are looking by trying to deliberately (I hope) mis-understand the guidance that everyone but you seems to know just to save yourself £5 a month?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Do you know how daft you are looking by trying to deliberately (I hope) mis-understand the guidance that everyone but you seems to know just to save yourself £5 a month?
      To be fair it doesn't help when the regular advice posted on here is that it needs to be a business tariff and people use emotive language like fraud, eh.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
        To be fair it doesn't help when the regular advice posted on here is that it needs to be a business tariff and people use emotive language like fraud, eh.
        Rather than being a business tariff, it needs to be a contract between the mobile phone company and the Ltd company. Generally these tend to be business tariffs, but if there are genuine examples of mobile phone companies having businesses on personal tariffs then that would be OK as well.

The key part is that the contract needs to be between the employer and the phone company. Having a contract in the name of the employee, and then paying for it from the company isn't the same. Having a contract in the name of the employee and putting the company name in the address field (as some people do) isn't the same.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          OK I'm confused so I'm daft... next!
          Last edited by MPwannadecentincome; 2 September 2013, 21:15.
          This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
            OK so contractors are generally the director of the company and we are both employer and employee which is a bit confusing.

So just replace the word "you" or employer in HMRC's guidance with "the LTD company" and see if that makes more sense.
            OK I am perhaps confused - I thought I had got them to invoice the company, maybe they didn't do that bit.
            This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Just about to get my first handset on the company account, I'll be using my current sim that won't be claimed for. Can a case for the phone be expensed as well if bought at the same time?

Sorry to bring up an old thread!

Comment

It's fine. Some people even claim their holiday homes in Spain!

Comment

Originally posted by mikedarv View Post
                  Just about to get my first handset on the company account, I'll be using my current sim that won't be claimed for. Can a case for the phone be expensed as well if bought at the same time?

Sorry to bring up an old thread!
                  I think post 12 answers your question as will your accountant.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mikedarv View Post
                    Yes, I would expense it.

If you aren't getting a phone contract in the company name you can still buy a non-subsidised (ie, unlocked) phone outright from the company account and then switch your personal phone tariff (which you will still pay) to a cheap sim only deal.

Looking to move the bill to the company, some providers want to charge companies more for a "business" tariff but some will charge the same for company or personal (ie T-Mobile) so it's worth shopping around.
                    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

I looked into this. In the end, as someone said, because the providers charge more for 'business' tariffs etc it wasn't worth the tax saving. Better just to get a personal tariff and not claim it.
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X