• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I claim my mobile phone ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    Re: whether or not you need to be on a business tariff or not to claim it's "in the company name", I wouldn't have thought it would matter. If the network is happy to put the invoice in the company name then I would have thought that would be fine.
    I tried that. Leave DD in my name just put bill in company name. They wouldnt do it.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
      I take a simple approach...handset gets purchased through the company and is treated as a capital purchase.
      One approach I guess. Works as long as new handset isnt too expensive I guess? If your talking samsung or iphone then we're up there at £400 I guess.

So, say you paid £400 for it. In effect, thats £320 of your money. Then £15/month for 24 months.
      Total paid out = £680.

I paid £26 a month for two years and got handset free. Total £624.

Wish 3 would work near where I live though. Bit flaky in the Valleys!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Vodafone weren't. They were very pedantic about the company being involved. I seem to remember the best I could get was to have the company name added in to the address field but wouldn't budge on anything else. Personal tariff, personal invoice. To invoice the company I had to switch to business plan. That was a lot of years ago though and I couldn't be arsed so just didn't claim it.

Either way, IMO, for this amount of money, like £6 a month you do it right or you just don't bother. It isn't worth flagging the tax inspectors attention over what is effectively **** all.
        Sense from NLUK. Exactly what I had. If it was easy then I'd have done it to save £6 or so but in the end I just couldnt be arsed with the hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
          That's what have and though it sounds great the signal in West London is beyond horrendous, in some places I get no 3G.
          Inside the M25 is horrendous. Imagine whats its like North of the M4 in Valley Commando land?

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            Inside the M25 is horrendous. Imagine whats its like North of the M4 in Valley Commando land?
            It's fantastic in Caerphilly but terrible in London even though they're upgrading it to 4G no chuffing point if they don't sort out the coverage.
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
              It's worth working it out carefully, and probably comes down to how much you use the phone (and therefore what kind of tariff do you need). I pay £7.50 + VAT a month for my SIM only business tariff, which seemed pretty good to me - certainly better than getting a personal one and porting the number over.
              One approach I guess. Works as long as new handset isnt too expensive I guess? If your talking samsung or iphone then we're up there at £400 I guess.

So, say you paid £400 for it. In effect, thats £320 of your money. Then £15/month for 24 months.
              Total paid out = £680.

Samsung Galaxy SIII Smartphone (16GB, UK Sim Free Unlocked) - £280.

£280 + (24 x £7.50 x 1.2) = £496.

less 20% CT = £397.

HTH.
              Last edited by Contreras; 10 January 2014, 09:47.

Comment

Nexus 4 - £288.99

Then £15/month for 24 months....
                I don't like being tied into a two year contract - I'm too much of a geek not to want the latest model. Even an 18 month contract can be a bit restrictive.

Galaxy S2 on T-Mobile when I had that as a business tariff was £40 a month (ish) to get the phone for 18 months, so buying a Nexus and then paying £7.50 is a LOT cheaper over one year, let alone over two.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
                  £400 + (24 x £7.50) = £580.

HTH.
                  £290 + (24*7.50) = £470 which is what I would pay over two years
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Total paid out = £680.

Wish 3 would work near where I live though. Bit flaky in the Valleys!
                    £400! My current iPhone cost £599.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin at NixonWilliams View Post
                      In order to make a successful claim the contract should be in the company name and be paid direct from the company account.

I hope this helps.

Martin
                      I am a sole trader and I have the name of my business down as my full name, and my mobile is in my full name. So I assume I can claim based on this?

Comment

Working...
                      X