• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it legal for a shareholder to work through my company?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
    As others have said, there are two different issues, (a) raising invoices for work done - other than vat threshold & liability implications, no real issue (b) paying the C shareholder (dividend? salary? both?).

Alphabet shares can create issues, but I'm not unduly vexed in this circumstance.
    (b) paying the C shareholder (dividend? salary? both?). - So which one?

Comment

Originally posted by Gulliver View Post
      (b) paying the C shareholder (dividend? salary? both?). - So which one?
      Drop me an email - lets not do your personal stuff in a public forum?

I'll be picking up email over the weekend.

Comment

Is it me or us there something behind this with a piscean odour?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          Is it me or us there something behind this with a piscean odour?
          Maybe. Rather depends on how much the brother paid for his share, doesn't it.

But as was said at the start, this is an S660a fail unless the OP is paying all the tax due on both his dividends and his brother's.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Maybe. Rather depends on how much the brother paid for his share, doesn't it.

But as was said at the start, this is an S660a fail unless the OP is paying all the tax due on both his dividends and his brother's.
            Separating from advising a client of mine (which I won't do in public) and the general point...

...no, alphabet shares are not an automatic S660a fail. Simplifying an awful lot, they are only a fail if they are bounteous. There are many commercial situations where they address the needs of a company, albeit they need to be set up properly and with advice. Away from advice to PSCs, they've been used for years, and will continue to be. Arctic Systems etc just adds a realm of complexity, as does the Employment Related Security rules, and many other aspects of the tax code.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
              Drop me an email - lets not do your personal stuff in a public forum?

I'll be picking up email over the weekend.
              Email sent.

Comment

I thought there were two issues here, one being the different class and the other being S660?

So two elements of risk with this set up?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I thought there were two issues here, one being the different class and the other being S660?

So two elements of risk with this set up?
                  Potentially but it depends on tthe fact. There is no more or less risk of s660 issues with different classes of shares or the same class.

However the practice in which different share classes are issuued is such that there is often an element of bounty in them.

So the brother owns some shares. He does some work. It is not unreasonable for him to have an equity interest. Under those circumstances I dont see any bounty. But it could depend on when they were issued. It could also depwnd on why and what if anything was paid for them.

Comment

Working...
                  X