• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Life after EBTs: the next tax 'scheme'/scam.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life after EBTs: the next tax 'scheme'/scam.

Following a suspicious post and a couple of spam posts that I didn't let through, I thought it a good idea to let everyone know what the next 'too good to be true' scam the blood-sucking, amoral* 'wealth managers' are pimping these days.

'Legally' reducing your corporation tax ('crippling corporation tax'? Feck off).

Now I know that there are legal ways to reduce corp tax, but our accountants ought to already be advising us to do this.

So be aware. And also be aware that I'm no longer letting these type of posts through. EBTs were bad enough, but this really is just taking the p1ss and making mugs out of all of us.

*By amoral I mean promoters not giving a flying feck if they put punters in the firing line for massive tax bills from HMRC after the promoter fleeces them out of money, before shutting the scheme/scam and dissolving the company once it has creamed enough punters.

Read HMRC view of things here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/avoidance/tempted.htm
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

blood-sucking, amoral*
    Best description of HMRC/government I've seen for a while.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

What are these new schemes called?
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Well they are pretty much the same as EBT's but they are now called [something else] benefit Trust and they all have QC opinion so obviously safe as houses
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          They go for various names SE, but generally are something like Corporate (or Corporation) Tax Planning.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Generate an artificial loss, then offset that against your profits. Just like some bigcos.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Generate an artificial loss, then offset that against your profits. Just like some bigcos.
              But bigcos have big tax lawyers to defend them, most contractors are only prepared to pay for advice from boards like this.

But my point still stands, if you want to look at the pros and cons of this, speak to your accountant.

These leeches have only started appearing with the closure of EBT schemes.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                But bigcos have big tax lawyers to defend them,...
                And friends in government and deals with HMRC. (Yes, I've a subscription to Private Eye...).
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  They go for various names SE, but generally are something like Corporate (or Corporation) Tax Planning.
                  That explains the new ads I've seen.

Like with EBTs I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The next scammy variation on a theme....

Loans via Pension Funds (or 'raiding the piggy bank')

As described by ASB in another thread....

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                    There are some circumstances where a pension fund can make loans. They are pretty limited but I believe an employer can under some circumstance borrow the cash from the pension fund.

I was thinking maybe something like:-

Pay employee minimum wage.
                    Pay balance into pension fund.
                    Employer borrows from pension fund
                    Employer makes back to back loan to employee

I suspect there are a whole host of hurdles to jump in order for the loan not to be taxable - at least at a point it gets written off. But I suspect the objective is to, in effect, get the pension money into the employees hands now rather than when they reach pensionable age.

As to whether it can be effective. I haven't got a clue. I imagine it will be effective until challenged. Probably not after that.

The tax planning industry will still be coming up with all sorts of jolly wheezes. Some may work for a limited period of time. Some people will go for them, but it is not exactly a risk averse method of moving forward.

Edit: there are also of course "unlock your pension now" type arrangements. In effect sellingpension rights to a 3rd part in exchange for something now. These could potentially be used to diver pension cash to a scheme member early - at a considerable cost no doubt.

Again, would it pass muster? Seriously doubt it, since the intent is clear. To get reward for employment to the individual now.

Comment

Working...
                    X