• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountant demands paper/PDF bank statements

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accountant demands paper/PDF bank statements

Hope this has not been answered before, searched and found nothing.

In order to complete the company return and statutory accounts, my accountant has asked for bank statements covering the last year. I send an Excel/csv file from the bank showing all transaction in that period.

The accountant says no, they can only accept paper statements or PDF scans thereof. They say it is for "legal reasons and company policy". What, is it 1996 already ? It will be a real pain to scan and email 25 to 30 bits of paper, and seems incredible to me, especially as this is one of the top expensive firms, not a one-man-band.

How does your accountant do it ?

A csv file can be easily created by someone to show anything they like, so I can understand why the want to see something original. A scan of the final one should suffice though, just to confirm the closing balance.

Unless they are doing an audit, or your bank doesn't reconcile due to missing information, there shouldn't be any need to supply every single statement.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Print to PDF of a years transactions (statements) via online banking.

Then email it to boyo no probs. It shows the account balance with each transaction which is probably what they want.

Comment

Usually, a scan of the bank balance at the company year end would suffice in order to check off that the bank account balances in the accounts.

However, if it doesn't, accountants would normally ask to see copies of the statements for the year to track down the discrepancies. The thing with a csv download is that it could be manipulated (not saying you would) whereas, a copy couldn't. I'm guessing they're just holding up their accounting standards which is reasonable.

Look at it as them trying to obviously do a good job and making sure your accounts are correct for you to sign off rather than them "purposely" trying to annoy you

Comment

All the accountants I've used have required me to send in a copy of my statements.

Luckily my bank now does them as pdf.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            All the accountants I've used have required me to send in a copy of my statements.

Luckily my bank now does them as pdf.
            Luckily I've got a sheet feed scanner...

But yes, just as easy to pull them from the online banking service.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Okay thanks guys. I understand the issue with security and how a csv could be altered by me or anyone else.

Unfortunately my online banking will either show 1 page of transactions, or you can download a year's worth as CSV. It can't do a PDF covering the whole year or display more than a few transactions on each page. (Cater Allen).

The accountant will get paper copies of my paper statements. Or I could be a real dingbat and lay them all on the floor then take a 8 megapixel photo.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                Okay thanks guys. I understand the issue with security and how a csv could be altered by me or anyone else.

Unfortunately my online banking will either show 1 page of transactions, or you can download a year's worth as CSV. It can't do a PDF covering the whole year or display more than a few transactions on each page. (Cater Allen).

The accountant will get paper copies of my paper statements. Or I could be a real dingbat and lay them all on the floor then take a 8 megapixel photo.
                Can you not give them read-only access? Then they can just log on and view without the need to bother you.
                ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

As Craig and Claire have said they are being pratts. Final bank statement in PDF to confirm closing balance and a CSV of transactions is fine.

"Company policy" is a brilliant catch all "we-want-to-do-it-this-way" thing. Escalate if you need to.

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
                    Can you not give them read-only access? Then they can just log on and view without the need to bother you.
                    Give an accountant access to my bank account?!?!?! Never!

Can you get read only access?????

Comment

Working...
                    X