• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Accountant demands paper/PDF bank statements"

Collapse

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    Will do, although as i'm with RBS i'm usually just grateful if I can get access myself!
    Ooooh curious!

In that case just a screenshot or a copy of the final statement will do - providing everything else makes sense there's no need for copies of everything. We can view HSBC or Cater Allen, but not RBS as far as I know.

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I suggest you contact your bank and ask them about read only access.
    Will do, although as i'm with RBS i'm usually just grateful if I can get access myself!

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    I just did a screenshot of my end of year balances.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Well my accounts are due in the next few weeks so i'll get you a log in (although you may need to tell me how!).
    I suggest you contact your bank and ask them about read only access.

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    I'm not suggesting you give your accountant access - I agree you should never do that.

But you can give them access to read only. Your accountant can then simply log in from their side and view your transactions.
    Well my accounts are due in the next few weeks so i'll get you a log in (although you may need to tell me how!).

Leave a comment:

• meb
    replied
    I've been with cater Allen for years and they've always mailed account statements every month to my accountants as well as myself. I'd get in touch and ask them to do it for you. They might not do it backdated but it'll save you doing anything next year.

I'm currently with crunch and they upload my transactions weekly from cater Allen so they must have a read only service or something like that available

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    My accountant has always required scans of my bank statements

So it's never been a big deal for me, I scan them in and email them.

If it helps them get it right then that's fine with me.

Leave a comment:

• Maslins
    replied
    It's certainly not a legal requirement, it's just a matter of an accountant needing to satisfy themselves of the data integrity. And we're all satisfied in our own unique ways
    That's my take on it too.

With a csv you stick the wrong number at the top and the balance carries through wrongly all the way. If you've got fraudulent intentions, nice and easy to manipulate it.

A pdf on the other hand, you'd need a long time very carefully overwriting stuff, trying to format it to not look out of place...and if you just changed the year end balance to be higher/lower then it wouldn't tally with the numbers immediately before/after. Therefore it's a lot of work to create a convincing fraudulent document.

If someone goes to that lengths with a pdf and gets it past me, then I would still feel I'd done my duty of taking reasonable care. I don't think I'd feel the same way with a csv.

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    I have a trustworthy face
    That's the thing as well - it sometimes depends on the client too (risk based approach) and what their records are like as to what proof you want. If everything is a mess and you can't reconcile the sales/bank/VAT/PAYE then you're likely to ask for copies of everything. If everything balances and it's all neat and lovely you need less to satisfy yourself that the accounts represent a true & fair view of the company.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    It's certainly not a legal requirement, it's just a matter of an accountant needing to satisfy themselves of the data integrity. And we're all satisfied in our own unique ways
    I have a trustworthy face

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    My accountant has never questioned me when I send them company account debits and credits on an excel spreadsheet.

You can change a PDF just as easily now with PDF Editors so dont see the substance of it being a 'legal' requirement.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    My accountant has never questioned me when I send them company account debits and credits on an excel spreadsheet.

You can change a PDF just as easily now with PDF Editors so dont see the substance of it being a 'legal' requirement.

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Give an accountant access to my bank account?!?!?! Never!

Can you get read only access?????
    I'm not suggesting you give your accountant access - I agree you should never do that.

But you can give them access to read only. Your accountant can then simply log in from their side and view your transactions.

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    Can you not give them read-only access? Then they can just log on and view without the need to bother you.
    Give an accountant access to my bank account?!?!?! Never!

Can you get read only access?????

Leave a comment:

• Jessica@WhiteFieldTax
    replied
    As Craig and Claire have said they are being pratts. Final bank statement in PDF to confirm closing balance and a CSV of transactions is fine.

"Company policy" is a brilliant catch all "we-want-to-do-it-this-way" thing. Escalate if you need to.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X