• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flat purchase in Germany by UK Ltd

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat purchase in Germany by UK Ltd

Can my UK Ltd company buy a property in Germany as an investment? The plan is for me to live there while I am in a contract and then start renting it out?

The objectives I am trying to achieve:
    1. Avoid renting a place to stay in Germany (where I have to say for business purposes) – the prices are high and the process is a nightmare
    2. Move some of my company’s cash into property – ring fence against inflation
    3. Diversify into euros just in case if something happens to the pound.
    4. By buying on my company name I would not need to take the money out of the company and therefore would not need to pay personal tax? I understand that when I sell the flat I would have to pay all necessary taxes then.

My main residence is in the UK and I am flying to see my family every two weeks but hope to start doing it more often as I get settled.

What are UK/German tax and legal consequences of making a such purchase to use myself first (for business purposes only, I have a house in England where my family and I live) and renting it out afterwards? Has anyone done a similar thing?

All thoughts are welcome!

Originally posted by O la la View Post
    Can my UK Ltd company buy a property in Germany as an investment? The plan is for me to live there while I am in a contract and then start renting it out?

The objectives I am trying to achieve:
    1. Avoid renting a place to stay in Germany (where I have to say for business purposes) – the prices are high and the process is a nightmare
    2. Move some of my company’s cash into property – ring fence against inflation
    3. Diversify into euros just in case if something happens to the pound.
    4. By buying on my company name I would not need to take the money out of the company and therefore would not need to pay personal tax? I understand that when I sell the flat I would have to pay all necessary taxes then.

My main residence is in the UK and I am flying to see my family every two weeks but hope to start doing it more often as I get settled.

What are UK/German tax and legal consequences of making a such purchase to use myself first (for business purposes only, I have a house in England where my family and I live) and renting it out afterwards? Has anyone done a similar thing?

All thoughts are welcome!
    Ooh I don't know where to be begin.

But if you rent somewhere in Germany you will have to deal with the Finanzamt (their tax people) and follow their rules.

Read http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...an-cometh.html for some details.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Just don't do it...

Too many reasons and not enough time.
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

I'm sure you can do it if you really want, but you will definitely need to register with the Finanzamt and the complexity of what you're doing will need some good (read: expensive) tax advice from a German accountant (Steuerberater).

For example, since you are buying real estate, your Ltd will need to go on the deeds of the property and so you will probably also have to have your Ltd's Articles of Association etc. translated into German by a qualified translator ("Beglaubigter Übersetzer" they call them in Austria, so presumably the same name in Germany), which is not cheap either.

All in all, it'll be very expensive (certainly a couple of thousand) and probably not worth it.

Comment

Buying a property though the company is a poor idea at best, doing abroad is just adds another heap of reasons not to do it.

Have search around the board for buying properties for company money and you will see all the reasons not to.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Buying a property though the company is a poor idea at best, doing abroad is just adds another heap of reasons not to do it.

Have search around the board for buying properties for company money and you will see all the reasons not to.
            That may not actually be the case. Its not sensible to buy a property in the UK through your company abroad may be a different matter. I'm sure someone has said on here before that in France its actually a decent way of buying a property cheaply.

But in all cases you need appropriate professional advice before doing it. And we definitely can't offer that professional advice.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

But it's not only about the cheapest solution, potentially anyway?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                That may not actually be the case. Its not sensible to buy a property in the UK through your company abroad may be a different matter. I'm sure someone has said on here before that in France its actually a decent way of buying a property cheaply.

But in all cases you need appropriate professional advice before doing it. And we definitely can't offer that professional advice.
                Buying through **a ** company abroad often makes sense, eg France, due to their succession and estate rules.

However as a presumed starting point, never through your uk **trading** company due to presumotion against contaminating investment assets with trading risks.

So really it's the same as buying in the UK. Generally your own company is a bad idea. If a company is needed, then a SPV is more appropriate.

Comment

Working...
                X