• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business expense? Insurance for driving in Eire

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently taken to taking the ferry to Dublin with the car for work. Less stressful are much more flexible.

My policy says I'm covered for 90 day stints in EU, Rang em today - no it's changed doesn't apply anymore but we can sell you 20 days cover at 43 quid or whatever otherwise get Irish cover...

I suspect this will have to come out if the mileage allowance but I though I'd just run it by NLUK and see if I'm cut out for contracting...

Surely your policy hasn't changed without you being notified or did you not read it before buying it.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Surely your policy hasn't changed without you being notified or did you not read it before buying it.
      Well that's an issue still ongoing, ill take that up separately, tmrw's task..

At the moment just wanna get legal and pose the question here.

There is duality of purpose since I could nip to the shop in the car....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        That would be my best guess.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          That would be my best guess.
          How very restrained, Lithium working?

Comment

How very restrained, Lithium working?
            Trying to finish my shuffle in peace here... will be back to you in a couple of mins...
            Last edited by northernladuk; 19 February 2013, 22:36.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

In reality I doubt anyone would really care - put it through. The debate on whether its in the mileage rate is really like angels on pinheads.

NB - I appreciate I'm not entering into spirit of thread

Comment

Just got a quote from Saga (I know!) unlimited EU'ing, business too, obviously bit more but not bad, bout 30 a mo extra, prolly best to take the hit on that, but claim 23 miles around the M50 the sat nav took me, instead of the 8 miles on the R132 or whatever it was which is less and quicker to place or work...

Comment

If you hired a car while you were there and then used it to go to the shop then would you consider that a duality of purpose too?

I say claim the whole amount because the "personal or private consequences are purely incidental" therefore there is no duality of purpose.

Jessica, can someone working abroad claim the scale rate expenses payments or do they need to apply for a dispensation first?
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post

Jessica, can someone working abroad claim the scale rate expenses payments or do they need to apply for a dispensation first?
                    Oddly this conversation came up with a client last week, and in the context of Eire. Small world.

No, I can't see any restriction on the benchmarks being claimed, and no need to have a dispensation or other agreement with HMRC in place.

Comment

Working...
                    X