• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Business expense? Insurance for driving in Eire"

Collapse

• Jessica@WhiteFieldTax
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    The doc says rates are for Dublin, elsewhere in Ireland actuals plus €4, unless I'm going blind.

Can't afford to pay myself those expenses anyway!!
    Sorry, more speed less hate... You're right.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Jesus, I knew it was expensive in Dublin but £10 for a pie is a bit steep.
    Not in Dublin - just paid €6.40 for a pint of Peroni.....

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Business expense? Insurance for driving in Eire

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
    Almost - you can only use the Eur148 Room rate outside of Dublin, inside Dublin it must be actual room rate.

Other than that, yes, its a good deal - and you can also claim PIE £10 as well.
    The doc says rates are for Dublin, elsewhere in Ireland actuals plus €4, unless I'm going blind.

Can't afford to pay myself those expenses anyway!!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Almost - you can only use the Eur148 Room rate outside of Dublin, inside Dublin it must be actual room rate.

Jesus, I knew it was expensive in Dublin but £10 for a pie is a bit steep.

Leave a comment:

• Jessica@WhiteFieldTax
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    So, according to this document:
    HMRC agreed in January 2008 that employers may use benchmark rates published on the HMRC website when paying accommodation and subsistence expenses to employees whose duties require them to travel abroad, without the need for the employees to produce expenses receipts.

According to HMRC's World Wide Subsistence Rates, stek's company can pay him €148.00 room rate plus €98.50 incidentals = €246.50 tax free per day to cover his expenses?

Sounds too good to be true...

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied

Oh yes please!!

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    No, I can't see any restriction on the benchmarks being claimed, and no need to have a dispensation or other agreement with HMRC in place.
    So, according to this document:
    HMRC agreed in January 2008 that employers may use benchmark rates published on the HMRC website when paying accommodation and subsistence expenses to employees whose duties require them to travel abroad, without the need for the employees to produce expenses receipts.

According to HMRC's World Wide Subsistence Rates, stek's company can pay him €148.00 room rate plus €98.50 incidentals = €246.50 tax free per day to cover his expenses?

Sounds too good to be true...

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied

Update, got EU cover, works out at about a quid a day from current insurer, but it's lumped in with my existing policy payments so no way of splitting it off, but for a quid it's not really worth it.

Ill be driving to ferry port to the house I rent here in Dublin, don't drive to place of work, it's only 20 mins walk (15 mins drive in Dublin traffic), not sure where that stands re SDP etc...

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Ducks for cover.

1. In general the 90 day EU use provided by most policies does NOT cover business use, it is SDP. I appreciate this is an argument the OP is currently having with the insurer.

2. If the above the case then the additional payment is to provide specifically business cover for this specific purpose. In this circumstance there is no duality of purpose.

3. Generally HMIT would say this is all covered by the mileage allowance. But check 7.10 and 11 of booklet 490. This states:-

7.11 An employee who goes abroad to work can also get relief for medical treatment provided abroad, or insurance against the cost of medical treatment provided abroad, where these expenses are borne or reimbursed by, or on behalf of, their employer.

Whilst this is not detailing vehicle insurance and is fairly specific, does it not provide an argument that it established a principle that specific extra costs are by default claimable ?

Ok, the argument might not be won, but no claim no gain.....

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Just got a quote from Saga (I know!) unlimited EU'ing, business too, obviously bit more but not bad, bout 30 a mo extra, prolly best to take the hit on that, but claim 23 miles around the M50 the sat nav took me, instead of the 8 miles on the R132 or whatever it was which is less and quicker to place or work...
    Personally this is how I would have worked it. Dublin (assumption) is a right bitch to drive around, sometimes the longer route can be quicker, particularly if those road works means a detour is required

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Not sure you can apply the 'wholly & exclusively' argument to insurance that will cover you throughout Europe - surely there has to be duality of purpose.

Mind you am not sure HMR&C would argue for the sake of E43 but you may be 'named and shamed' - they seem quite keen on that at the mo

Leave a comment:

• Jessica@WhiteFieldTax
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post

Jessica, can someone working abroad claim the scale rate expenses payments or do they need to apply for a dispensation first?
    Oddly this conversation came up with a client last week, and in the context of Eire. Small world.

No, I can't see any restriction on the benchmarks being claimed, and no need to have a dispensation or other agreement with HMRC in place.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    There is duality of purpose since I could nip to the shop in the car....
    If you hired a car while you were there and then used it to go to the shop then would you consider that a duality of purpose too?

I say claim the whole amount because the "personal or private consequences are purely incidental" therefore there is no duality of purpose.

Jessica, can someone working abroad claim the scale rate expenses payments or do they need to apply for a dispensation first?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied

Just got a quote from Saga (I know!) unlimited EU'ing, business too, obviously bit more but not bad, bout 30 a mo extra, prolly best to take the hit on that, but claim 23 miles around the M50 the sat nav took me, instead of the 8 miles on the R132 or whatever it was which is less and quicker to place or work...

Leave a comment:

• Jessica@WhiteFieldTax
    replied
    In reality I doubt anyone would really care - put it through. The debate on whether its in the mileage rate is really like angels on pinheads.

NB - I appreciate I'm not entering into spirit of thread

Leave a comment:

Working...
X