• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Charles Marcus

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charles Marcus

Hello,

I have come across company called Charles Marcus. They are an umbrella company with an interesting proposition. Just wanted to check with gurus here, if this sounds ok.

My agency has a PSL and Charles Marcus(CM) is not on that list. So I need to have my own limited company. But then, CM said that I could just become another link in the chain i.e. a one man recruitment company and have another contract with them for getting the job done. So basically, I keep my own margin and then pay the rest to CM via invoice.

e.g.
    Billing £10,000 a month to my agency. Then pay £9,900 to CM via an invoice from CM. Doing this, will essentially leave no money in company and hence IR35 has no relevance since no dividends will be taken. Also, on the flip side, CM will employ me as regular employee with small salary and I go and do the job as expected by agency.

So my only question is: will IR35 apply to me if my working practices fall within IR35?

Thank you very much.

P.S. Please don't let your views get skewed in the direction of what happens to those funds lying with CM. My main questions is will IR35 apply if my practises fall within IR35 with this arrangement.

Originally posted by mac_msn View Post
    Hello,

P.S. Please don't let your views get skewed in the direction of what happens to those funds lying with CM. My main questions is will IR35 apply if my practises fall within IR35 with this arrangement.
    Yeah, like that's going to happen!

You are not in business on your own account, you are just screwing the tax man.

So yes, IR35 DOES apply to you.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

In fact this thread is so good, I'm moving it out of the Umbrella section and placing it in Accounting/Legal.

I wouldn't like anyone to miss this.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        So yes, IR35 DOES apply to you.
        Well, I am being told that IR35 is relevant if and only if you take dividends. In absence of dividends, it is irrelevant. In this case, there is no dividend taken. So are you sure IR35 still applies nevertheless?

Comment

Put this in General, pls Cojie....

Me and NLUK are ready and waiting...

Comment

Well, I am being told that IR35 is relevant if and only if you take dividends. In absence of dividends, it is irrelevant. In this case, there is no dividend taken. So are you sure IR35 still applies nevertheless?
            Absolute rubbish. Go read the guides. IR35 applies to the contract and it's working conditions related to your contract. It is about your relationship to the client.

I hope you put more effort in to understanding this awful setup than you have IR35.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Has anybody heard of Charles Marcus before? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Has anybody heard of Charles Marcus before? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
                Now THAT's the right question you should be asking.

Comment

So you're going to have your own Ltd Company but you're also going to be a 'regular employee' all for the same job...and your biggest worry is IR35 You may as well stand on the roof of HMR&C towers with a big target painted your back
                  Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                    So you're going to have your own Ltd Company but you're also going to be a 'regular employee' all for the same job...and your biggest worry is IR35 You may as well stand on the roof of HMR&C towers with a big target painted your back
                    Have you been to Longbenton!!

Comment

Working...
                    X