• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Substitution and One weeks termination

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Substitution and One weeks termination

Hi All,
    I got offered a 10 week contract 5 weeks ago, it was terminated 2 days ago, the reason they gave (even tho they have to give one weeks notice in writting (which I received yesterday via the agent)) was I used a substitute without their permission? I had an issue with childcare 3 weeks into the contract so contacted another contractor (who I knew the client knew about) and asked for some technical help on a solution (I paid him for this and DIDN'T bill the client this or the day and a half I missed of work), this saved me doing all the "think" time, I then implemented and delivered a solution (coded by me) based on his logical idea (he sent me example code, which ofcourse wasn't useable but pointed me in the right direction). As I was outside IR35 I didnt' see a problem with this, then "somehow" the client and my "helpful" contractor got chatting and I was terminated. Can they do this?, they are raising other things now (one day you didn't return a phone call) (The work was 90% remote). The agent informed me they are happy with all the work I've delivered its just this "subsitution" and my "not instantly available" being breach of contract (Availability is NOT stipulated in the contract). The agent is not being helpful (as he obviously wants to keep them as a client), what can I do?, the termination I can live with, but the -1 days notice?, really!?!?
    Advice please?

Paul

That's what contracting is all about. If you don't like it go permie.
    Blood in your poo

Comment

Now don't take this the wrong way but - what does your contract say about RoS?
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I am still convinced this is subcontracting not substitution as I am sure you contract says you must introduce the substitute to the client but anyway.... Doing anything with clients data and solutions that they don't know about is a bad idea period. Helpful or not this is a customers information and not to be used as I see fit. First and foremost are confidentiality trust and respect for your client. Being helpful comes a poor second I am afraid.

Notice period is near on irrelevant for us. You will have a Mutuality of Obligation that says they are not under obligation to offer you work so you don't get paid. You could have a 10 year notice period but if they give you no work it is the same as immediate termination anyway. It also sounds like there is some misconduct in their eyes so immediate termination can be used.

I can imagine it smarts like bloody hell, but the only option I can see is get your contract back. The notice period thing is dead in the water.

Notice is for permies. If you get it lovely, if you don't that is life. That is how I see it. Remember it is a double edged sword though
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Sounds to me like the main issue here is communication and not being up-front with the client about your intended actions. When you first became aware of the childcare issues, first thing should have been a conversation with the client and discuss how you can work around it via the use of a substitute - get their approval.

As for the 1 missed phone call that just sounds like it was thrown in as extra justification for the termination, I think it was the unauthorised substitution/subcontracting that caused the problem - as NLUK said, you've discussed confidential client details with an 'unknown' third party without their approval. (Even if they know the contractor, he still wasn't authorised to work with/for you).

As for the notice period, as others have said this is just contracting, it hurts when it happens but there is nothing you can do about it. Legally there will be plenty of ways they can justify their decision so the chances of you forcing an extra cash out of them are zero, so the only thing to do is take it on the chin and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Willapp View Post
            Sounds to me like the main issue here is communication and not being up-front with the client about your intended actions. When you first became aware of the childcare issues, first thing should have been a conversation with the client and discuss how you can work around it via the use of a substitute - get their approval.

As for the 1 missed phone call that just sounds like it was thrown in as extra justification for the termination, I think it was the unauthorised substitution/subcontracting that caused the problem - as NLUK said, you've discussed confidential client details with an 'unknown' third party without their approval. (Even if they know the contractor, he still wasn't authorised to work with/for you).

As for the notice period, as others have said this is just contracting, it hurts when it happens but there is nothing you can do about it. Legally there will be plenty of ways they can justify their decision so the chances of you forcing an extra cash out of them are zero, so the only thing to do is take it on the chin and move on.
            Good post Willapp.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Notice period is near on irrelevant for us. You will have a Mutuality of Obligation that says they are not under obligation to offer you work so you don't get paid. You could have a 10 year notice period but if they give you no work it is the same as immediate termination anyway.
              Your understanding on MOO is wrong. MOO does not mean that you can turn up the next day and not be guaranteed any work. You have signed a contract, if that contract is for 30 days then you will have to provide 30 days effort and they must accept 30 days effort. MOO means that at the end of that 30 days the other party has no obligation to provide you any more work.

That is why you have a notice period inserted in your contract, if either party did want to end the contract early they have a way of doing so.

Read here and here for more details.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              It also sounds like there is some misconduct in their eyes so immediate termination can be used.
              That is what they will most likely argue. To the OP, you may have a claim for breach of contract, but I can't comment further without knowing your particular details. It may be worth speaking to a solicitor for an hour and getting his advice on the strength of your claim.
              "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
                Your understanding on MOO is wrong. MOO does not mean that you can turn up the next day and not be guaranteed any work. You have signed a contract, if that contract is for 30 days then you will have to provide 30 days effort and they must accept 30 days effort. MOO means that at the end of that 30 days the other party has no obligation to provide you any more work.

That is why you have a notice period inserted in your contract, if either party did want to end the contract early they have a way of doing so.

Not sure I agree with that (but happy to be corrected ).

The whole point of MOO is that work doesn't have to be offered; a notice period just says "we are ending the contract" but if there is no work to do during that notice period, then it's effectively an immediate notice period.

I read your posts but missed anything that explained this one way or the other. I have just found this one:

PCG link

"The length of notice period should not be seen as an indicator of mutuality of obligations. Once notice has been given and served and the engagement has ended, there can be no mutuality of obligations. Mutuality is created within the engagement itself and so you could have an engagement where there was no right of the contractor to terminate and must see through the engagement period to conclusion, but if there is no obligation on the engager to offer work during the contract period and/or the contractor has the right to refuse to accept work that is offered during the contract period, then there would be no mutuality of obligations and the notice period would be irrelevant."

Isn't this confirming the point that notice periods are effectively irrelevant?

Comment

Compare how your contract looks to the contract that these chaps had:

Following the decision to considerably reduce the number of permanently employed terminal operatives at Tower Wharf you were informed that there would be the requirement for casual employees on days and at times to be specified. We are delighted therefore that at the time you took voluntary redundancy, you informed us of your willingness to be considered for casual employment, but there is a requirement for us to point out the following :

The services you are to provide the company are on an ad hoc and casual basis. This means that while the company will try to give you as much notice as possible when offering work, there is no obligation on the part of the company to provide such work nor for you to accept any work so offered.
                  It is important that you understand and accept the conditions under which casual employment is being offered and we therefore require from you your acknowledgement on the copy of this letter before such employment can begin
                  Stevedoring & Haulage Services Ltd v Fuller & Ors [2001] EWCA Civ 651 (9 May 2001)

That is a clear case of you having no right to be guaranteed work tomorrow.
                  "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Also found a recent thread on here about this very topic:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ally-mean.html

I think it's inconclusive as it all comes down to contract wording.

Comment

Working...
                    X