• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

QDOS cranking up the pressure with IR35 insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Won't take too long. QDOS insure you against an IR35 investigation. So does PCG basic membership, in effect. Neither has lost a case for a very long time now.

But then PCG Plus insures you against any tax-related investigation (including CT and VAT), plus you get free jury service cover, free agency default cover and half a dozen other things that added up would cost around £1000 on the open market. Plus you're adding numbers to the only organsiation representing the freelance contractor, and while progress is painfully slow we'd be a lot worse off without them.

Bit of a no brainer really. But perhaps I'm a little biased....
    and for the cost of both these, what is the QDOS one, £240 quid? I am happy to pay both and be certain. Cheaper than paying for your contract review individually as well
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      and for the cost of both these, what is the QDOS one, £240 quid? I am happy to pay both and be certain. Cheaper than paying for your contract review individually as well
      No idea on QDOS. PCG Plus is £220 plus VAT. Not at all sure why you need two insurances for the same risk but hey, it's your money.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by TraceRacing View Post
        To add slightly to this conundrum, my renewals are due.. currently I'm a PCG member and I have my PI/PL insurance with Qdos.

Is it worth keeping both or should I put all my eggs in one basket now the Qdos is offering IR35 insurance akin to that of PCG? I think the answer lies within the pricing structure in that the PCG membership costs less than the Qdos IR35 insurance and they have a track record of dealing with these matters...

Guess I need to run a slide rule over this in the next day or two...
        Yeh. I've always though about it. With PCG at the moment.

Note that QDOS due the full IR35 protection thing where they even pay your costs etc if you lose. You dont get that with PCG in the event that you do lose. Dont even know if this is a factor or not?
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Won't take too long. QDOS insure you against an IR35 investigation. So does PCG basic membership, in effect. Neither has lost a case for a very long time now.

But then PCG Plus insures you against any tax-related investigation (including CT and VAT), plus you get free jury service cover, free agency default cover and half a dozen other things that added up would cost around £1000 on the open market. Plus you're adding numbers to the only organsiation representing the freelance contractor, and while progress is painfully slow we'd be a lot worse off without them.

Bit of a no brainer really. But perhaps I'm a little biased....
          As mentioned above, one of the policies from QDOS will pay out for everything even if you lose.

But as you said, if PCG or QDOS are confident of not losing then theres little value in it.

Comment

Get contract reviews if you've got PI with QDOS anyway...

Comment

No idea on QDOS. PCG Plus is £220 plus VAT. Not at all sure why you need two insurances for the same risk but hey, it's your money.
              Maybe because PCG is worth paying for for the other stuff you get and QDOS offer a more complete IR35 coverage package?

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Maybe because PCG is worth paying for for the other stuff you get and QDOS offer a more complete IR35 coverage package?
                You can get exactly the same coverage via PCG, using Abbey Tax's Survive35 offering on top of the membership coverage, for much the same price, so that's not really a differentiator.

Whether or not you actually need it is a whole other question. Personally I don't think you do, but everyone has their own risk levels.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Get contract reviews if you've got PI with QDOS anyway...
                  Is that right? I thought you only got it as part of the PI/PL package? I wouldn't buy just PI anyway but interested to know.

Comment

Indeed but as I have very little evidence from people I trust on the outcomes if needed the extra £300 a year (not forgetting tax relief) is a cheap option in my book. Like you said, each to their own level of risk.

Comment

Is that right? I thought you only got it as part of the PI/PL package? I wouldn't buy just PI anyway but interested to know.
                      Ah. I've got the whole package too but I thought it was if you had ANY product off them.
                      Not sure though. Not much point in having less than the whole package anyway since the price isnt much cheaper and QDOS are way cheaper than anyone else anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X