• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Invoice question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invoice question

Just started a contract.

Due to running up close to some payment schedule deadlines, pimp said I could just fire him an email with amount worked and he would get it cleared for this time. Normally I would be raising invoices.

Anything I should be aware of here, just wondering if the above could be misconstrued, why did he not raise an invoice to get paid, type thing.

Originally posted by xara View Post
    Just started a contract.

Due to running up close to some payment schedule deadlines, pimp said I could just fire him an email with amount worked and he would get it cleared for this time. Normally I would be raising invoices.

Anything I should be aware of here, just wondering if the above could be misconstrued, why did he not raise an invoice to get paid, type thing.
    Would that be seen as a loan?

Why not just send an invoice with the quick email to the agent?
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Why not use the likes of XXX and do it properly?

Or do you not have a business bank account?

<comment>
      Oh dear, I've come across all NLUK - maybe I need a coffee?
      </comment>
      Last edited by Contractor UK; 8 October 2021, 08:17.
      Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Originally posted by xara View Post
        Just started a contract.

First contract, presumably? An invoice has to contain various things - the word "Invoice", a reference number, invoice date, VAT reg no if applicable, net price, VAT rate applied and the calculation if applicable, gross price. Doesn't matter what form they are in so wrap them into your email and you have an invoice.

If it's not your first contract, why don't you know this already?

Also, your agent is not treating you as a business and does not see you as one. That is a bad thing. He wouldn't pay any other supplier without an invoice, would he?
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

In an ideal world you want all your invoices to match all your incoming payments. If you receive a payment before you had time to raise an invoice, in reality I see no problem (so long as you do actually get around to creating that invoice).

Just don't get in the habit of not raising invoices - its essential you do this.
          2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
          2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
          || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Certainly I will raise an invoice, and no it's not a first-time contract.

The issue was more payment deadlines. I will be sending an email saying here's what it's going to be and a formal invoice later saying the same thing.

Comment

Am confused as to why you can't raise an invoice? It wouldn't take a few minutes extra to fill in a template and attach it to the mail??

Is this for a part period or something? If he is this flexible surely he will accept your invoice even if it isn't on the agreed deadlines?

Without a formal invoice aren't you on a wish and a prayer that he will get it cleared and indeed pay you in time? I presume you are taking in to account the payment terms in your time factorying?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X