• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses!

Has anyone got any experience of claiming expenses back directly from HMRC?

Am confused. Why would HMRC pay your expenses??
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If they are your client and you've got it in your contract with them then of course you can claim expenses.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Am confused. Why would HMRC pay your expenses??
        I guess because he forgot to claim them.

I suppose you may be able to get some of them by correcting your tax return but I doubt it.

(As an aside why are this sites newcomers becoming stupider?)
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Thanks eek your not jumping to any conclusions there are you!!

OK poor choice of word I assumed too much.

I should have said expenses claimed against taxable income, expenses from this tax year.
          Last edited by Bones; 10 August 2012, 05:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Bones View Post
            Has anyone got any experience of claiming expenses back directly from HMRC?
            If you're just talking about motoring expenses and things like hotel bills, your accountant should be able to guide you. It's fairly straightforward.

Comment

I dont have an accountant I have a new umbrella company who has dropped me right in the sh@&

Comment

I should have said expenses claimed against taxable income, expenses from this tax year.
                You may be able to claim them on your self assessment. Engage an accountant to review your case for you. There are some really helpful ones who post here.
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

I dont have an accountant I have a new umbrella company who has dropped me right in the sh@&
                  Bearings mind the total lack of clarity and information in your question and the fact you haven't posted it in the umbrella section I can't help but think this isn't just the umbrellas fault alone.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                    You may be able to claim them on your self assessment. Engage an accountant to review your case for you. There are some really helpful ones who post here.
                    As an umbrella employee I dont fill in self assessments.

Having payed a umbrella company to take care of all accountancy and taxation matters, I should engage an accountant?

Comment

Working...
                    X