• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share Investment, Discussion & Tips

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indeed...sadly it's only my own money I've lost!

Mine/my wife's pensions are basically all in "Vanguard SRI Global Stock GBP Acc". Seems to be doing ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
      Indeed...sadly it's only my own money I've lost!

Mine/my wife's pensions are basically all in "Vanguard SRI Global Stock GBP Acc". Seems to be doing ok.
      Doing exactly as should. Good choice.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Quite surprised to see only one mention of Lars Kroijer on these boards. His book ("Investing Demystified") is very good if you happen to come across it in your local library and the advice would seem to be simple and straight forward... I would have liked to have come across this sort of information in my 20's TBH.
        ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
        Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
          Quite surprised to see only one mention of Lars Kroijer on these boards. His book ("Investing Demystified") is very good if you happen to come across it in your local library and the advice would seem to be simple and straight forward... I would have liked to have come across this sort of information in my 20's TBH.
          Thanks for the recommendation. I've ordered a copy as it's clear to me that I need to know more.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            Thanks for the recommendation. I've ordered a copy as it's clear to me that I need to know more.
            I was going to buy, but I used my local library instead. The videos cover the highlights, but the book goes over the detail. It's an easy read; perhaps even light, but it's a very basic concept to grasp.
            ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
            Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Anyone want to explain to me in simple terms what's happening with the Woodford funds?

I've got a fair chunk of my SIPP and ISA with them.

Comment

Probably locked in until December now.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Shorters

There are often shorters at work in stocks that fall also. These are guys who borrow stock they don't have and sell it, then when the price has fallen buy it back again.

They can really drive down a share causing panic and pain amongst private shareholders.

So it is almost like there is a whole industry working against you.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Stopped reading at that point.
                    But you shouldn't! You would have learnt some good basic stuff...
                    "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                      Anyone want to explain to me in simple terms what's happening with the Woodford funds?

I've got a fair chunk of my SIPP and ISA with them.
                      It's complicated, but here's an attempt -

Equity Income Fund - Has been "frozen" due, basically, to Woody investing way too much of the money in illiquid assets. And when more people were drawing money out than paying in, he couldn't meet redemptions. He had no choice but to suspend the fund. You will have to wait until the fund re-opens to get what remains of your money back. It is possible the fund will not re-open but will be liquidated and the proceeds distributed pro-rata. Beyond that, nobody knows the future.

Equity Income Focus Fund - AFAIK, business as usual.

Woodford Patient Capital (WPCT) - Note this is an investment trust, not strictly "a fund". It's shares are quoted and traded on the London stock exchange like any other publicly quoted company. Due to Woody's investment choices being quite "brave" (and other stuff too) it has lost rather a lot of it's value since the equity income fund got suspended. Since it is quoted on the LSE, if the number of sellers is more than buyers, the share price drops and may fall below the trust's net asset value (the value of the underlying assets held by the trust). Presently, that is exactly what has happened to WPCT. There's other stuff too, much, much more that you can find all over the media. But that's the situation as I understand it today. HTH.
                      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                      X