• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share Investment, Discussion & Tips

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Its a SIPP, drip feeding a days rate into it each month and a one off hit at the end of the year if I have maxed out Dividends
    And how's that working out?

I've got a standard pension about 90k in it getting something crap like 3/4% a year. I've decided to use a carry back pension contribution and was going to put in 150k for this tax year as I've not contributed enough over the previous years and then I was converting to a SIPP, but was going to pay an IFA to do it and put it in funds.

What return are you getting?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      And how's that working out?

I've got a standard pension about 90k in it getting something crap like 3/4% a year. I've decided to use a carry back pension contribution and was going to put in 150k for this tax year as I've not contributed enough over the previous years and then I was converting to a SIPP, but was going to pay an IFA to do it and put it in funds.

What return are you getting?
      This is the end of my third year, averaging about 14.3% value growth but I know thats not sustainable as most of that is a recovery in Lloyds which is up 81% since I bought it and now diluting my stake as at one point it was over 30% of my holdings, its now down to 16%.

Going for a high yield approach, this year I am going to end with 4.8% yield based on capital contribution (which is why I am not fussed about the actual share price as I won't sell any stock unless it rises above the portion of the overall value) and this is with a large portion of the capital not paying any dividends (Lloyds and First Group)

Code:
      Holding	Stock	Value %	Avg Yield	Income %
      11.41%	AV	47.32%	4.84%	57.00%
      2.62%	BA	20.05%	6.04%	32.13%
      1.32%	BBY	-30.98%	5.09%	-20.79%
      2.34%	BP	-15.73%	4.85%	-10.89%
      6.68%	BATS	15.29%	4.45%	24.18%
      3.16%	BLND	13.81%	3.01%	16.83%
      4.43%	CLIG	24.80%	8.81%	33.62%
      2.43%	DLAR	-26.35%	1.59%	-24.77%
      3.72%	FPO	32.44%	3.12%	35.56%
      2.45%	FGP	0.01%	N/A	0.01%
      8.24%	GSK	-0.72%	4.63%	8.55%
      2.38%	KCOM	-5.20%	5.23%	0.03%
      16.60%	LLOY	81.78%	N/A	81.78%
      2.81%	MARS	1.01%	N/A	1.01%
      3.03%	NG	20.62%	5.49%	26.11%
      2.62%	PAF	-21.56%	5.48%	-16.08%
      2.75%	PLUS	-1.88%	N/A	-1.88%
      5.11%	RIO	-11.97%	3.69%	-4.59%
      1.51%	RMG	20.91%	4.03%	24.94%
      3.32%	SSE	19.47%	3.26%	26.00%
      2.32%	TSCO	-27.26%	1.37%	-24.52%
      2.67%	ULVR	0.59%	1.11%	2.80%
      2.68%	VOD	14.14%	5.13%	24.40%
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Stock market is high at the moment probably will continue to drift up but you want to be ready for a "correction".
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          Stock market is high at the moment probably will continue to drift up but you want to be ready for a "correction".
          AS much as I look at my SIPP many many many times a day I know I am here for the long term so as long as I keep paying the dividends I revinvest I am comfortable taking the bad with the good

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Anyone planning a punt on Tesco shares?

Now their shares have dived like that sub with the jammed bowplane in Das Boot, maybe the only way they can go is up.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              Anyone planning a punt on Tesco shares?

Now their shares have dived like that sub with the jammed bowplane in Das Boot, maybe the only way they can go is up.
              It's tempting but I think it's going to go down more.

Comment

Cheap shares have a habit of getting even cheaper

However Tesco is a pretty solid company going through a bad patch.

If you have "balls of steel" worth a punt
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  Going for a high yield approach, this year I am going to end with 4.8% yield based on capital contribution

If you want an simpler way to get dividends you could take a look at :

iShares UK Dividend UCITS ETF ( IUKD )

It's currently yielding 4.51% and a quick scan at the holdings ( it comprises of 55 physically held UK stocks ) matches most of what you currently have.

* * * Note: This is not a recommendation. Do your own research

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                    If you want an simpler way to get dividends you could take a look at :

iShares UK Dividend UCITS ETF ( IUKD )

It's currently yielding 4.51% and a quick scan at the holdings ( it comprises of 55 physically held UK stocks ) matches most of what you currently have.

* * * Note: This is not a recommendation. Do your own research

No but I might. Thanks.

Just wondering when to jump into Russia stocks as oil prices are killing them. Also other energy companies.

It's all a big political ploy to disable Russia's economy and Irans / Isis by the Saudis and US. Pure over supply on purpose to impact these countries. At some point (assuming it doesn't kick of WW3 the supply tap will be reduced and then whoosh!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                      No but I might. Thanks.

Just wondering when to jump into Russia stocks as oil prices are killing them. Also other energy companies.

It's all a big political ploy to disable Russia's economy and Irans / Isis by the Saudis and US. Pure over supply on purpose to impact these countries. At some point (assuming it doesn't kick of WW3 the supply tap will be reduced and then whoosh!
                      My view on investing is only invest in areas you understand, going abroad adds a layer of uncertainty and complexity which means I stay away and focus just on the UK

Comment

Working...
                      X