• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share Investment, Discussion & Tips

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Loving the people shouting out their single shares making a few quid - Come on people, this will be blind luck/bad luck akin to a monkey with a dart.
    You will almost certainly be better chucking a value averaged monthly contribution at an index, by all means run a few shares 'for fun', I do. But I also cross check this against an index purchase on the same day to see if I have done better than just doing that (Very slightly better overall, not in any way enough to cover time spent thinking about it, research etc but I enjoy it). Also even the best preformers can easily have 40%+ losers overall, anyone claiming every pick from 10 has been a winner is a joker.
    Agree in principle, however I find a well-diversified high yield buy and hold portfolio has done better than the index over the long term. Back in February I posted a sample 10K portfolio

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post2057027

It was up 5% at one point but thanks to the great Fall of China as of today it is worth £9991 including dividends, with a few dividends awarded but not yet paid Not a brilliant return - BUT the FTSE 100 and All share are down 10.2 and 7.8% respectively over the same period.

I put together a similar portfolio for Mrs PJ to invest a pension lump sum about the same time, thankfully for the sake of marital harmony, that one is up 2% largely because I swerved TSCO and avoided a 38% drop, and it also included a couple corporate bonds.
    Last edited by pjclarke; 10 December 2015, 13:01.
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
      Just short everything on AIM, that should do the trick.
      Well, that's the retirement plan sorted.

Comment

Nice Santa rally.

What are you looking at? I'd like to see EZJ hammered so I can pick them up a bit cheaper, but unlikely. I'd be interested in BARC sub 200p. BP around 300p. Not really looking at commodities in general though. Will probably wait until the FOMC on Wednesday...
        Last edited by jamesbrown; 12 December 2015, 12:58.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          Not really looking at commodities in general though.
          That's a pity, there are some real tools on here...

Comment

I like the dividend re-investing plan with safer companies - generates exponential growth over time.

Comment

Originally posted by hydraulicwave View Post
              I like the dividend re-investing plan with safer companies - generates exponential growth over time.
              That's my strategy, yield on capital this year is 6.38%, add a small value increase (1.34% this year) and I think I am doing better than average
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

With some $ I can afford to lose and the current price of Brent am taking a punt on PRNEX. 'Twill be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  I think I am doing better than average
                  You've done well if your goal was to be average...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    You've done well if your goal was to be average...
                    FTSE down 5.4% this year, I am up, I am happy with that
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                      FTSE down 5.4% this year, I am up, I am happy with that
                      Just buy a massive fook-off house in the SE of England. You get to live in a fook-off massive house AND it goes up 15% every year, compounded, you'll be retiring a billionaire.

Comment

Working...
                      X