• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share Investment, Discussion & Tips

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    What a shame. Aberdeen (abrdn as they comically call themselves now) are buying the retail investment platform Interactive Investor. Abrdn are a train wreck since the merger with Standard Life, whilst Interactive Investor has become a terrific low cost retail platform for those who like a fixed fee platform for their ISA and/or SIPPs. I hope II is left alone to do what it does. Though I doubt that will happen and abrdn will apply likely their reverse Midas touch to the business. Perhaps.
    I received that email today too. I haven't used my ii account in a long time (I thought I'd closed it!) so not really affected fortunately.

The email read like they were going to remain separate, with their own FSCS registration, which should be reassuring. However, give it a couple of years and Richard Wilson will be out and then things will change.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    What a shame. Aberdeen (abrdn as they comically call themselves now) are buying the retail investment platform Interactive Investor. Abrdn are a train wreck since the merger with Standard Life, whilst Interactive Investor has become a terrific low cost retail platform for those who like a fixed fee platform for their ISA and/or SIPPs. I hope II is left alone to do what it does. Though I doubt that will happen and abrdn will apply likely their reverse Midas touch to the business. Perhaps.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    A quick question. Do people have accounts with different companies? I have my S&S ISA with Vanguard but am considering using iWeb for general use as I want to access Fidelity as well as Vanguard funds (I would use iWeb for Vanguard as well).

Just doing my research but it feels a bit of a 101 question.
    Not me, no. Nor the portfolios I run for family. The investments you hold, if in a retail investment platform, are segregated from the assets of the company that manages the platform. In the case of a SIPP, the assets are held in trust anyway so there's another layer of segregation. It is quite obvious that should a malevolent employee choose to dip his fingers into the till, no doubt he/she will do so irrespective of safeguards. My take, therefore, is that barring major fraud, my investment is pretty safe at one of the mainstream retail investment platforms. Others take a different view, but I think there is value for me having everything in one place. HTH.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    A quick question. Do people have accounts with different companies? I have my S&S ISA with Vanguard but am considering using iWeb for general use as I want to access Fidelity as well as Vanguard funds (I would use iWeb for Vanguard as well).

Just doing my research but it feels a bit of a 101 question.

Leave a comment:

• lecyclist
    replied
    MSTR provides exposure to approximately .95 BTC per 100 shares and is purchasable via your SIPP (once you have completed a W-8BEN form on your SIPP platform). Currently trading at $550.05 per share, with analyst price targets as low as $360 from Citigroup yesterday, it could be considered a future buy if you are bullish on the prospects for crypto, and are comfortable mixing business value and BTC value.

Here is a nice chart from the Reddit thread, that suggests valuations based on varying BTC prices. Note that currently BTC is $31000, which aligns with the current negative analyst consensus.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    How many other people here have been invited to apply for shares and a bonus from (Transfer)Wise when they start trading their shares on the market?
    Just me then. Apparently, there's another 59,999 too.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    How many other people here have been invited to apply for shares and a bonus from (Transfer)Wise when they start trading their shares on the market?

Leave a comment:

• lecyclist
    replied
    Who's a believer in cyclical investment funds? Any suggestions on specific funds (sector or country based) to consider?

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by CanPayButWouldRatherNot View Post

Well I have one question ....

Been doing a bit of checking on our current stack to look at dividend returns (in a retirement scenario that is what we would look to live on)

Now we have mainly have this All world vanguard etf (VWRL)

My sipp was reinvesting the dividend but the ISA wasnt (which was bad) ....but it HAS given me a glimpse at the dividend return for the last year (appreciate it was a funny year last year)

In the ISA this etf (currently valued at ~£85) returned £1.13 annually per etf ... ~1% which has me a bit worried.

I am more comforted by the returns listed here

https://www.morningstar.co.uk/uk/etf...?id=0P0000WAHE

5 year annualised returns = 15.43

But that is driven by the actual price of the etf and not the dividend ...right ?

I am not 100% sure I understand the question fully.

To understand the pricing of the ETF (or an OEIC) and it's performance over time you need to check you are comparing apples with apples. Sometimes performance figures are quoted with dividends reinvested and sometimes without. Sometimes there are "accumulation" units/shares which reinvest the income generated automatically and don't actually distribute a dividend. Then there's a version of the same fund that does pay the income out rather than reinvest in automatically. Surprise surprise, "income" units.

I think you need to ensure you are comparing like with like when comparing performance over time with funds or shares that have dividends as part of their total return. HTH.

(In this respect income investment trusts are probably easier to understand since they don't have a class of shares that automatically reinvests income. But if you compare performance at places like Hargreaves Lansdown etc.... make certain you are comparing total return for actual return over time).

Leave a comment:

• CanPayButWouldRatherNot
    replied

Thank you and good luck with your future investments. Always happy to help if I can, as are many others here too.
    Well I have one question ....

Been doing a bit of checking on our current stack to look at dividend returns (in a retirement scenario that is what we would look to live on)

Now we have mainly have this All world vanguard etf (VWRL)

My sipp was reinvesting the dividend but the ISA wasnt (which was bad) ....but it HAS given me a glimpse at the dividend return for the last year (appreciate it was a funny year last year)

In the ISA this etf (currently valued at ~£85) returned £1.13 annually per etf ... ~1% which has me a bit worried.

I am more comforted by the returns listed here

https://www.morningstar.co.uk/uk/etf...?id=0P0000WAHE

5 year annualised returns = 15.43

But that is driven by the actual price of the etf and not the dividend ...right ?

Last edited by CanPayButWouldRatherNot; 23 June 2021, 07:58.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X